m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Ignition leads

Unread post by m3a1 » January 5th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Fil Bonica wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 2:57 pm
TJ
Given the fact that there is an intermediate shaft you could in fact reverse it 180 degrees and correct for oil pump mis alingnment of 180 degrees?

Fil Bonica
Sure, that's another way of doing it and it is certainly another way of validating what we were all suspicious of. Will he leave it that way? That is the big question. But, hey, it's his truck.

I daresay our member has some logistical reasons for not going all the way in and sorting this out at the grass roots level. Happily, nothing has been done, at this point, that cannot be un-done and so, I cannot be too critical of his current switcheroo.. If and when he gets in there and lines everything up properly, all will be well.

I think Rick is (very fairly) trying to point out two things.

First, time and tide sometimes work in funny ways and you never know if circumstances will arise where you are forced to part company with one of your beloved toys on the quick-time. If this particular engine gets out there without the next owner being adequately informed as to the non-standard changes (or unable to understand what those changes actually mean), he or she may be in for a big surprise eventually. It would be better, from every perspective, if the engine were brought back into spec...but again, there's still time for that.

Second, there have been many changes reported in this project, most of which could have some unforeseen effect on the matter. I believe we have another carb involved that is characterized as being NOS (but still, that carb is as yet unproven and being put on a sick engine). If that NOS carb had been on a good engine and all was determined to be well, then Okay... We also have an unproven distributor in the mix....and it may surprise you to hear this but there are a lot of ways a distributor can be messed up that go well beyond the electrical components.

By way of example, I bought a distributor off of eBay, on the cheap..(chiefly for the internals but I had some thought that I might just assemble it with good parts and keep it as a spare). When I got into it, I found out it had been disassembled and then reassembled.... without all the parts. Uh huh! Without all the parts! As a result, tthe shaft was all over the place and that would have made for interesting circumstances if I had tried to use it as is. This isn't meant to be a declaration that our member cannot tell a good part from a bad one. Far from it. This is meant to be an example of why changing everything, or many things, does not necessarily leave you better off than you were in the first place.

My point here is, all these changes can lead to compounding your troubles rather than eliminating them and it is not a good way to hunt down those pesky gremlins. Treat those new parts with the same suspicion you would a used part.

Cheers,
TJ

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 5th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Over the years I have assembled several. 151engines including oil pumps.
Not being great at reading instruction I had always been fortunate or lucky with pump install notes.
Luck ran out when we reassembled two refurbished engines .
Both distrbutors were in 180 degrees out.
When we realized the problem the fix was quick.
Firing order is Only 1,4,3,2.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » January 6th, 2020, 12:14 am

It is 1,3,4,2. page 5-2,TM-9--34.1
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151