NATO Trailer Plug Wiring

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

NATO Trailer Plug Wiring

Unread post by kmam » February 15th, 2020, 7:49 pm

I have an RAAF trailer which has left and right (yellow) turn indicators, left and right red tail lights, white number plate lights, left and right red brake lights.The turn indicators, obviously, are wired separately to the trailer plug, the tail and number plate lights are wired together to the plug and the brake lights are also wired together to the plug. I have connected the leads to a NATO 12 pin trailer plug which gives me correctly operating turn indicators and tail lights. The problem I have is with the brake light.

When I put my foot on the brake both yellow turn lights come on but the brake lights does not. If I use a turn indicator while the brake light is on the appropriate yellow light flashes. So the brake light connection from the MUTT goes to the turn indicators.

Is there any way I can have the brake light on a separate connection as I need to have only the red brake light come on and the yellow lights only working as turn indicators.

Maybe someone has found a solution to this problem?

Thanks, Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Re: NATO Trailer Plug Wiring

Unread post by rickf » February 15th, 2020, 7:55 pm

The brake lights go through the turn signal switch in stock form. The only way to do what you want is to run a new set of wires directly from the brake switch. Power to the switch, from the switch to the brake lights, brake lights grounded at the rear but better if grounded to a ground wire. This is assuming your brake lights are independent of the turn signals which it sounds like they are.

Thinking about this for a second I am thinking it would be better if you got a second brake light switch and used that just for the trailer lights so you do not confuse the original circuit.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » February 15th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Thanks Rick.

Sounds like a heap of trouble. However, as you have now confirmed there is no way to do this without modifying the existing wiring, I will try another approach. I have replaced the original brake light switch with a hydraulic switch. If I apply power to that and run the output lead to the trailer socket I can then drive the brake lights. Which is pretty much what you are saying. Bit of mucking around but at least if I do that it won't attract the attention of the law...
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 15th, 2020, 10:30 pm

If you do that you will not have functioning lights on the vehicle itself. I would add an aftermarket brake light switch that has a spring loaded arm that contacts the brake pedal. pretty much like the A2 setup. Runt your trailer wires through that and that way you are not destroying the vehicle lighting system.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » February 15th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Yeah, correct. I have had another thought: connect the left brake light in parallel with the left tun light and do the same on the right. Then I will have red brake lights but yellow will also come on. Turn signals will work correctly but I will have both red and yellow flashing. That is probably not an issue as I will at least meet the requirement for red brake lights and yellow turn indicators.

Only difficulty is that I have to drill the pop rivets holding the back panel of the trailer as all the wiring is concealed behind it :( Oh well....
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » February 16th, 2020, 7:37 am

Howard.....

you may find this helpful. It's a reply to a question about separating out the rear stop lights from the turn signals.

Big George gets the credit for this :D

Ken

https://www.g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... ght#p42496
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"