Exhaust manifold gasket starting point

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Exhaust manifold gasket starting point

Unread post by rickf » July 24th, 2020, 10:04 am

After hearing that I would be looking over that engine real good since whomever was in there before had no real interest in taking care of it.While the valve cover is off check the valve clearances.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » July 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Well, riding the MUTT roller coaster. Got everything off. Intake manifold had what I presume was the original gasket from 1966. Came off in pieces and hockey puck hard. All the bolts came out without snapping any off. The exhaust tube looks nice and straight but had absolutely no silicone on it, so maybe Bubba greased it up or the military did, but it is long gone.
Now the down side of the roller coaster, both boss that hold the clamps at either end are broken off. So, between no grease or seal and no blamps holding the exhaust manifold on, you can see why I was getting some exhaust leak.

So, I'll order an intake manifold gasket and check the carb gasket condition, need the gaskets for the exhaust tube to the header pipe as those are crispy and some silicone sealant for the exhaust manifold. Then come up with a fix for the two broken boss lugs. If I can come up with some sort of backer plate or strap for these two positions, then I can reassemble and then check compression and other running systems and if I need to pull the engine for full rebuild, I can address the boss situation more permanently. If everything checks out OK, I'll ride the roller coaster until I have to address the boss.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 9th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Finally got my intake gaskets and header pipe flange gasket and put everything back together. Took a while for gas to fill the carb bowl, but then started right up. My son took it for a short test drive this afternoon. Short because he ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the house. Towed it back home with the ATV Ranger and he is up getting clean gas for it now.
Painted valve cover and air filter canister while they were off and checked valve clearance to /015 while warm, (that's probably what used up the little gas we had in it) and she putts a little out of the muffler pipe connection just before the skid plate and muffler, but I've replace those gaskets and tightened the clmap as much as I can, still feel some exhaust coming out of that seal. I'll play with it more, maybe double gasket or loosen the muffler bracket at a later time.

Thanks for all the help on the manifold gaskets. All was helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.