Best source for vacuum line routing?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Best source for vacuum line routing?

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 10th, 2020, 10:31 am

While working on recent exhaust manifold issue, I finally got to lay my hands around this A1 engine. But with some A2 fuel tank and other MUTT salad issue, I noticed several vacuum lines with sheet rock screws or other various methods of plugging the lines. I would like to go through this engine bay and create all new vacuum and fuel lines properly installed. It does have electric wipers and I'll probably leave those for the time, so this is not the usual wiper vacuum line questions.

What would be the best resource to show me in as much detail as possible, what lines are supposed to go where so I can get this MUTT running as well as it can. I think I have everything connected the way it was when I got it, but it is running rough and will not idle unless I have some choke, so something is amiss.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Best source for vacuum line routing?

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » August 10th, 2020, 11:37 am

TM9-2320-218-20P Manual gives size and length of lines your are asking about. With pictures.
Takes a bit of looking and making notes. NAPA is good source for vacuum lines and steel fuel lines. Auto Zone also. Got my stuff from both.

As for needing a little choke to get to smooth out.... I found what should have been a wiper vacuum line connected to a fitting in intake manifold. Could not adjust air/fuel mixture.
I removed the Bubba modification. WOW. A world of difference in idle and performance.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 10th, 2020, 11:58 am

The fitting on the back of the intake manifold does go to the wipers eventually so if that was the problem then there must have been a fairly large leak in that line somewhere.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 10th, 2020, 12:05 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 10:31 am
While working on recent exhaust manifold issue, I finally got to lay my hands around this A1 engine. But with some A2 fuel tank and other MUTT salad issue, I noticed several vacuum lines with sheet rock screws or other various methods of plugging the lines. I would like to go through this engine bay and create all new vacuum and fuel lines properly installed. It does have electric wipers and I'll probably leave those for the time, so this is not the usual wiper vacuum line questions.

What would be the best resource to show me in as much detail as possible, what lines are supposed to go where so I can get this MUTT running as well as it can. I think I have everything connected the way it was when I got it, but it is running rough and will not idle unless I have some choke, so something is amiss.

Any direction greatly appreciated.
If you need choke to smooth out the idle then either you have a vacuum leak, most likely in the intake manifold gasket or your idle passages are clogged. You can check the manifold gasket by bring up the rpms to roughly 1000 rpm with the hand throttle and then spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold where it meets the head. Be sure to get under the manifold. If you hit a spot that is leaking the engine will change, it will speed up, smooth out or die down all depending on the volatility of the carb cleaner. Any change tells you that you have a leak. Be sure to have the air cleaner hose hooked up for this test or you will get a false reading from it pulling the vapor into the carb inlet. If you don't find a vacuum leak then you have clogged idle passages in the carb.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 10th, 2020, 12:27 pm

So I went out and played with it this morning. One of the "killed" lines comes from the air filter across the front of the engine and towards the distributor area and then gets tapped. So, maybe fuel pump or distributor cooling or something, that's why I need a manual, so thank you much for the direction.
But, after adjusting lean/rich and idle screw and tightening the headlight ring so the rattle didn't drive me crazy, it now starts and idles fairly smooth with no choke. Torqued manifold bolts while hot (got burned figners to show for it) to 15 ft pounds and no change, so I think I got them correct. Checked fitting in rear of intake manifold and al is well. Feels like two square plug fitting elsewhere in the intake manifold, so I don't know if these are factory for optional vacuum fittings or if Bubba found a sale at ACE and just started pulling things off and if the engine kept running, plugged them.

I'll check out the referenced TM. My son helps on projects and does a great job bending lines and knowing the difference between comprssion fittings and flared fittings.

I still need to check compression on this engine before I get too involved with it. But it runs well enough now for test drives and Kung Flue mask patrols.

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » August 10th, 2020, 7:03 pm

There are two lines on top of the carb above the inlet. The top line is small and that routes back around the front of the engine and is plumbed straight into the right side of the distributor. On the rear of the intake manifold is a large line that routes behind the engine and goes to a tee by the distributor. One side of the tee goes to the left side of the distributor. The other end of the tee would go to the vacuum pump which it sounds like you don't have anymore. In this case just plug that end of the tee. The left and right side on the distributor are from the prospective of standing on the passenger side and looking at the distributor. I hope this helps.

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 11th, 2020, 8:29 am

Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2020, 8:47 am

Hey Dave, Is that one of those new in the box engines that was for sale back in those days? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember seeing a few of them. Advertised as "new in box" or "New government rebuilt" and this is what would show up.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 12th, 2020, 7:07 am

rickf wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:47 am
Hey Dave, Is that one of those new in the box engines that was for sale back in those days? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember seeing a few of them. Advertised as "new in box" or "New government rebuilt" and this is what would show up.
Probably was. Not something I got suckered with though. I found these pics online in a For Sale ad somewhere when I was doing my '66 A1. The pics looked handy to show the venting/vacuum line routing, so I borrowed them for posterity.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 12th, 2020, 8:59 am

Fantastic help. I'll print out the pics or have my son open them up on his phone while we go down and walk through these. We'll just grab a bunch of new line and start working our way around the engine. Yes, I believe I do not have the vacuum pump don't know if you can my engine photo, but with no vacuum wipers and a replacement fuel pump, I don't know how imperative it is. to make sure and distributor are their ds met.

Thanks for the pics and the manual reference.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 12th, 2020, 9:05 am

Here's my engine bay pic after I replaced my intake manifold gasket and used silicone on the exhaust manifold. If it is recommended I get and install a cauum pump, I certainly can do so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 12th, 2020, 9:31 am

Can't see what you have since it is on the other side but no real need to have the vacuum pump if you are running electric wipers. Do be sure to hook the vacuum up to the distributor though since you need to remove the ozone created by the sparks inside the cap. Contrary to popular belief the vacuum in the distributor is not for cooling, that is what the fins on the outside of the distributor case are for. There is nowhere near enough air moving to cool the coil.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm

I may be OK for my needs. Feels like all lines are connected with the exception of two. One line comes off the carb top and runs along the front of the engine and connects to the grill side of the distributor. The other line comes off the rear of the intake manifold and does to to a T behind the distributor with one split line going to the cowl side of utor, so I think I have both dist. lines in place. he closed off lines one froming from ed on the sir filter, it comes across the front of the engine and terminates in the area of pump. er closed line comes ff the other split from the T behind the dist. and terminates, again, in the area of the new fule pump. acuum pump in to a t verhsion of the fuel pump, neig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.