Bumper Unit Markings

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Bumper Unit Markings

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 14th, 2020, 3:42 pm

I thought I knew the basics after marking a few vehicles, but never hurts to get a second opinion before I order paint masks for my 1966 A1. I am marking this jeep as a late '70s early 80's Georgia Army National Guard jeep that was the one star area commanders' vehicle.

His unit was: the 81st Infantry, 306th Combat Engineers which had a light and heavy company

so his jeep is currently marked:

Registration Number: 2K8290
Bumper numbers: 81-306 (HVY) C-1

No current star on the front bumper. I am not used to seeing dashs or parentheses on unit marking and I presume the C is for company but I also presume the HVY is for the Heavy company. The rear bumperette has 81 on one line and 306 on the second line and that is all that fits. The passenger bumperette is C-1

As you guys are more familiar with the Vietnam and reserve markings that n the WWII forum guys, I though I'd come here.

As this is a one star's jeep, I was thinking:

81I 306CE HVY star HQ-1
rear: 81I HQ-1
306CE

I'm open to all suggestions and comments.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Bumper Unit Markings

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Got my head up my exhaust pipe . . .
I once obtained a trailer that was former Georgia Army National Guard and it took me a while to figure out what GANG stood for on the rear panel. As this is a GANG unit vehicle, shouldn't GANG be somewhere on it? Right now it has a Army National Guard sticker on the rear vinyl window. Hmmm...

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Bumper Unit Markings

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 14th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Well, you can tell I'm not a veteran. I am now reading that the equiptment is all owned by the US Army and that is why it has US Army on the hood and the registration number, not GANG. So "normal" military unit markings would apply. I will leave the Army National Guard sticker on the window , though.