Now a dash light question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Now a dash light question

Unread post by mutt and jeff » March 22nd, 2021, 8:55 am

This is for an M38A1, but same dash lights as on MUTT, so options should be the same. Have two 24v dash lights that provide light behind the dash panel and illuminate the gauges that have clear glass in the bottom of them. I've converted to 12v, so the dash lights are not operating right now. But, I've picked up all new gauges and only the speedometer has the glass port. So, even if I can rig the back lights to 12v, only the dash will receive illumination. The gauges are all 12v or mechanical, that is why no glass ports or internal illumination. Other than holding a flashlight in one hand at night, are there some options to provide illumination?
Convert the dash light to somehow provide light to the faces of the gauges like the GPW/MB"
Just leave the current lights in as hole fillers and hook up a 12v bulb and socket near the speedometer?

It's not going to be factory corrent any way I go, so open to suggestion for the other 4 gauges.

rickf
General
General

Re: Now a dash light question

Unread post by rickf » March 22nd, 2021, 9:06 am

Most mechanical gauges I have seen have provisions for lights, usually a small internal bulb that goes in though the back. What brand are the gauges?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:58 pm

Just happened to have a set of Allis-Chalmers gauges here in front of me. Not YOUR gauges of course and maybe entirely different than out MUT'Ts lighting but you can see here what they did... 1/2" hole had a grommet with a bulb in a socket shoved in it. Nothing fancy. Farm boys, gotta love em.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » March 22nd, 2021, 8:57 pm

Here's the set I acquired.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gauge-kit-new- ... 1983350837

I have no trouble drilling a small hole and either sticking a tiny bulb socket in it or cutting a slot in the bottom of each gauge for the dash light illumination if I knew I would screw up a brand new gauge or if I could get the 24v dash lights cobbled to 12v.

I am also considering a two or three bulb with the cigar tube looking things that stick out in front of the gauges in the WWII jeeps. I'd have to weld up the current dash light boles and drill two or three smaller ones to the dash panel. Hmmmm...

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 22nd, 2021, 9:11 pm

Well, I have never seen a gauge without some form of light provision but these do not appear to have anything. I am assuming that price is for one gauge since that is the going price for gauges nowadays so I would either send them back or at least contact the seller and pose the question to him. With 70,000 plus sales and 100% satisfaction he didn't get that way by stiffing people so I am positive he well make it right. I would certainly do that before trying to modify a gauge, that probably would not work out well. Bourdon tubes don't take well to drill bits! Nor do amp meters with full circuit amperage flowing through them. I hate amp meters, they are worthless, a volt meter tells you a lot more about the condition of the system.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » March 22nd, 2021, 9:18 pm

No, the price was for all four gauges. The speedometer I got to match does have the clear plastic slot at the bottom, but was an additional %65 dollars. I think this are meant for the early CJ jeeps which had an external dash mounted light as seen here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willy-s-Jeep-D ... OSw-CFgSQt~

This would be an option for me as this is a daily driver jeep, not factory restoration and is 12v. So I could install one, or even two of these external dash lights and connect it to the push pull light switch and they would come on with the parking lights and head lights. Just one or two more holes to drill in the dash. But Bubba beat me to that with toggle switches and riding lawn mower ignition switch.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2021, 10:18 pm

Well, it appears there is no internal provision to conduct light forward to the face of your gauges,in any event. Absolutely no reason your external jeep style light idea would not work and, if they were to be fitted to the gauge cluster backing plate, no permanent harm would come to your M151....