Shortcut for replacing Male Waterproof connectors

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Shortcut for replacing Male Waterproof connectors

Unread post by Lou » April 5th, 2021, 7:50 pm

I just went through this with our Mutt. Took all the lights off for repainting the body, all of those rubber boots were cracked and needed to be replaced.

Ordered all new connectors and cut the first one off (see photo) and installed the new boot and crimped on a new connector (own the proper mil spec crimper).

Then found out something amazing, have never seen this posted anywhere. Push the large rubber shell back, then pull of the retainer clip. Then lube the wire and the connector well. I used some corrosion X which was on the bench and use in inside all my electrical connections to preserve them. What ever you use it has to be real slippery, Vaseline would even work.

After lubing simply pull the rubber connector shell off the wire, it will go right over the metal connector. Then lube the connector and wire again and push the rubber shell back over the metal connector, put the retainer clip back on, pull the boot back and your done!

If the old rubber boot is no longer pliable and will not pull over the metal crimp connector cut the boot off with wire cutters.

Note this will only work with the male connectors as shown in photo. The female connector has to be cut off and redone, no shortcut there. Hope this helps!
Military Male connector.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Shortcut for replacing Male Waterproof connectors

Unread post by Horst » April 6th, 2021, 11:25 am

I thought this is an obvious feature but hey, sometimes the easy things can give you a headache. So good post.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » April 7th, 2021, 2:10 pm

That's an interesting picture you posted, Lou. Looks just like the one I took and posted on FB this week......

Lou
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Lou » April 7th, 2021, 4:13 pm

Vzike wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 2:10 pm
That's an interesting picture you posted, Lou. Looks just like the one I took and posted on FB this week......
Yes Vin, It sure is your photo! Posted this same info to help out the guy you are selling these connectors to on FB. :)
Take Care,
Louie
M151A2,
KA2PFL,
MVPA 27368
Image Image