This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Order lubrication

Unread post by rupert's » June 5th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Good afternoon everyone!
In the next few weeks I hope to have the A2 registered and start using it after the restoration ...

I am looking at and translating the lubrication manual because I want to make an annual maintenance book to have everything in order and not leave anything undone for more time than necessary.
I have almost everything clear but there is a product that I do not know what it is.
It's from PL-S Distributor, if I search for this product on Google I get light bulbs, I can't find any lubricant, maybe wd40?
Greetings to all and as always ... thank you very much for your advice.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Order lubrication

Unread post by Mark » June 5th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Dielectric grease for the cam lobe is--niehoff nl-2 distributor cam lubricant, permatex makes dielectric tune up grease.I used it for points ignition.Electronic ignition uses different??
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 5th, 2021, 9:09 pm

WD-40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent and water displacement. If you spray some WD-40 on something and check back in a week you will find it has dried up. Dielectric grease is used on the cam lobes for points ignition. There is no grease needed for electronic ignition. Unless you are talking about the timing advance mechanism under the ignition plate where the springs and weights are. There you would just use a light machine oil, here it would be 3 n one oil. If you want to use dielectric grease on your electric plugs (highly recommended) then look for tune-up grease or silicone grease.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » June 10th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Understood Rikf, I already have dielectric grease, this weekend I am going to do the maintenance of the distributor, but there is a section that I do not understand ...
-Wipe breaker cam sparingly (standard only) with GAA and lubricate breaker arm pivot with 1 or 2 drops of PL-S.-
This part, the translator does not make it clear to me what I have to do, I cannot identify the part that I have to grease.

On the other hand ... I have read the entire maintenance manual, do you do all the maintenance as the manual says? It seems that the car has a lot of maintenance, is it necessary?
for example, do you change the oil in the air filter every month? Do you put 10w40 the same as the motor? All the best

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 10th, 2021, 3:22 pm

If you have electronic ignition then you do not have to worry about that part, you do not have the breaker points or the cam they run on so it is not needed. As far as the rest of the maintenance, use good judgement. You are probably not going to be using the vehicle as much as the military and I am sure you are not going to be using it in the places the military did. The most important parts to maintain are the U-joints. They need to be kept greased on a regular basis. Not so much the drive shafts from the transmission to the differentials as the axles. The axles have pretty steep angle on the joints so they have to be kept lubed. The air cleaner does NOT need to be changed once a month! Unless you are living in a very dusty environment and driving every day. Normal street driving and if you are driving it like a collector car and not every day then once a year is fine. Change it the same time you change your motor oil. That makes it easy to remember and you already have the oil supplies out.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » June 10th, 2021, 5:57 pm

The truth is that I do not know if I have points or electronic, I have not opened it yet, but I think it will be for points.

Regarding the brake fluid ... He says that you have to add silicone fluid, if I put dot4 brake fluid, what are the consequences? maybe the pipes are damaged?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 10th, 2021, 9:54 pm

I don't know what happens with a DOT 4 and DOT 5 mix but I would not try it unless the DOT 4 is a silicone fluid, I don't think it is. You need to check and be sure what is in there now is actually DOT 5. Take a small cup of water and then try to find an eye dropper or a medicine dropper from an old used up medicine and suck a little bit of the fluid out of the master cylinder and drop it in the water while watching the reaction. DOT 5 will just float on top and all the others will disperse into the water. DOT $ I am not exactly sure about, I know that is what I use in my Motorcycle but I would have to check it and see what it is. I am pretty sure it is not silicone.
Mixing silicone fluid with regular brake fluid will give you a gelled mess. You can change from one to the the other by sucking all the fluid out of the master cylinder and then draining/pumping the rest of the lines out till you get air and then you need to open the wheel cylinders and drain them out also. Once this is all done, and while the cylinders are open I like to blow out the lines from top to bottom to be sure the old fluid is out of them. Then reassemble everything and fill with the fluid of your choice and you will be good to go. The very little residue left in the lines will not hurt anything. I prefer to use DOT 3 in all my military vehicles for the main reason that no matter where I am if I need to replace the fluid I can buy it anywhere. DOT 5 is sometimes hard to find outside of areas where military operates. If DOT 4 is the most common fluid in your country then drain and refill with that and whenever you need more you will always have it since it is the same as your other vehicles.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed