Humo en admision o escape

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Humo en admision o escape

Unread post by rupert's » June 27th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Goodnight everyone! once again I come with a mechanical problem, to soak up your wisdom and opinions ...

On this occasion I have detected that a little smoke comes out of the intake and exhaust manifold, in the video it does not look good but especially in cold it comes out more than what is seen in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq4RYOiaZW4
Symptoms:
Smoke comes out only through a hole
More smoke comes out in cold and less in hot
New intake manifold gaskets
The exhaust manifold has no gaskets, I have put a high temperature sealing paste on it.

I think the exhaust manifold is not well seated on the engine block, but I can tighten it more ... Do you think it could cause a problem?
Greetings to all!

rickf
General
General

Re: Humo en admision o escape

Unread post by rickf » June 27th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Buenos Noches Rupert, You have a common exhaust manifold leak. Do NOT try to tighten it more, you will just crush the thin pipe. Is this an A1 or A2? And second is it an original cylinder head? The later heads used a gasket. It is very hard to get these to not leak at all, what did you use to seal the exhaust manifold? The bad news is that you need to remove the intake manifold to get to the exhaust manifold so you might as well order some new intake gaskets ahead of time. The leak is not going to harm anything so you can continue to drive it until you decide what to do. What I use on the early A1 head is Permatex Hi-temp gasket sealer. You need to determine if the head is designed for a gasket or not though. The early heads were a very snug fit for the exhaust manifold, there was no room at all for any type of gasket, the manifold set in there perfectly. The later heads the exhaust manifold would rock back and forth in the recess it sets in, These were designed for a gasket. What a lot of people have found was that the gaskets available today are too thick and they will hold the intake manifold away from the head on the lower side so what they do is double up on the intake gaskets. Use a very thin layer of Permatex #3 sealant or similar on both sides of the bottom gasket and the top of the top gasket. Note that the torque settings for the intake bolts with the exhaust gaskets are different from the setting without the gaskets! Follow them or you will deform the exhaust manifold and then you will always have a leak. The torque settings are much lighter than you might think they are.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » June 28th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Rickf! once again, thank you very much for your quick response.
The engine is from an A1, the cylinder head I do not know if it is original because I bought the engine used.
The product I used is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealing-Compou ... 0753321168
From what I see this product and the permatex is very similar, maybe I do not apply enough, or it has burned a little and now smoke is coming out ...

One thing is for sure ... The tightening torque I have not respected because I do not know what they are: :shock: :shock: the problem may be there haha but since this does not damage anything, I will point it in tasks for winter, and without Hurry, when I'm bored I'll find the torque and I'll do it.

Greetings

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 28th, 2021, 1:33 pm

It is interesting, I could not find that product made by locktite but I did find it made by Henkels. But according to the specs it should have worked perfectly for your application. I can think of three things that went wrong. The bolts were tightened too much and bent the exhaust manifold which broke the seal. The sealing surfaces were not perfectly clean and last but not least the product was not fully set up before you started running it. If you just cranked those bolts down tight then you might want to start looking for another exhaust manifold because that one is probably deformed. If you are going to have it off the road for an extended time over the winter and you have time to take it apart and check first then do so before ordering the parts.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » June 28th, 2021, 4:36 pm

It sure is too tight, I hope it is not bent ... anyway I have another collector that may be fine, I keep the thread in markers for when I have time and want to follow the steps: :wink: :wink:
My mutt does not have heating, surely the months of December January and February are stopped, I will have to take advantage of these things ...