Clutch slipping (solved)

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Clutch slipping (solved)

Unread post by rupert's » August 20th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Good night friends! Once again I am here in search of wisdom and experiences.

The clutch on my A2 slips. I tell you the symptoms.
Driving on steep slopes, I have seen that when I accelerate, the engine revs up but the wheels do not follow this acceleration, the conclusion is that the clutch slips.
When I get home, I put on the handbrake, put in gear 4, step on the gas, release the clutch, and the engine keeps running. If I don't accelerate if the engine stops. But if I rev, the engine keeps running.

The rod adjustment is well done and does not scratch any gear.
I checked the clutch disc 500km ago when I restored the car and it was almost whole, it was 1mm less thick than a new one.
My clutch is like the one in the second picture. https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ch#p902043
I think this may be the reason why the car is struggling to get to 50 mph. Maybe the clutch is slipping.

I have removed the clutch cover and found that the screws of the three claws of the clutch pressure plate can be adjusted. Has anyone ever done this? Can anyone contribute something? Greetings friends.

Edit:
Solution in answer # 7
To adjust the clutch the first thing is to adjust the rod, these screws are only adjusted if after adjusting the rod the clutch continues to slip.
Last edited by rupert's on August 25th, 2021, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Clutch slipping

Unread post by Hambone » August 20th, 2021, 4:43 pm

I think it can be adjusted, I have never tried it, check out this post, check out the 2 links George posted, is there any sign of oil in there?
http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121 ... nt#p103697

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 20th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Hambone ... thanks for your quick reply.
I only see the edge of the clutch and it looks clean and dry.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 20th, 2021, 6:51 pm

I read somewhere you can spray brake cleaner on clutch disk will help removing the oil on the disk.(I would think it would go like this:take cover off, spray brake cleaner on it, maybe use air blow gun to blow off residue.I'll never done it, I will sooner or later as the 151 clutch slips when stepping on it, but when I push on foot feed in little steps the jeep goes like normal)I think the oil leaks from the rear of valve cover down thru bell housing.Aw, better stop, speculation is endless.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 20th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Do you have any free play in the clutch pedal? In other words you should be able to push it down with your fingers about an inch and a half before it gets hard to push. That is the point where the throwout bearing is contacting the clutch plate and starting to disengage the clutch. If you have no play you need to adjust the clutch until you do have it. The problem is that the flywheel and disc may now be glazed.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 21st, 2021, 7:55 am

Rickf used to have clutch play in the middle of the pedal, the top part was free and could be pushed with two fingers.
I tell you how the subject is going ...

-One of the three clutch claws had a screw at a different distance from the other two. I have put the three claws at the same distance and I have tightened the screw of the springs 1/4 or 1/5 of a turn.
-Now the clutch feels harder, and also I notice the car with a little more force, it seems that it accelerates more. I have not been able to test it on the road due to lack of time, but if I have proven that with the handbrake, I put 4 gear, I accelerate and the engine stops, not before.

-I have noticed that now the clutch starts almost on the floor of the car, sometimes the reverse gear scratches me and this cannot be. Another day I have to remove a turn or two of the rod, I hope it does not come out of its place because I remember that it was already very removed and it was necessary to use a lot of force to put it in the hole of the iron.
If I have news I will tell you, and so I can leave the solution for someone else. All the best

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 24th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Today I spent the afternoon regulating the clutch ...
The problem seems to be in the springs that have the 3 claws, I have removed a little these screws that regulate the springs so that the clutch has more force and thus does not slip.
1629843031052.jpg
After doing this, the clutch feels harder, it has stopped slipping, I have adjusted the rod, but now when I reverse it scratches the gear, and the car makes a small movement backwards, it seems as if someone gave it a little push when I put the reverse gear, 2 gear is also noticeable but less and does not scratch.
I think the clutch disc does not separate enough and the gearbox turns a bit, but the rod is tight.
The pedal travel has a dead piece at the bottom, it should be enough so that it does not transmit anything to the gearbox. I do not understand why it continues to have friction.
Maybe by pressing the springs so that they make more force I have shortened the route and now they are not separated enough?

On the other hand .... I have adjusted the 3 equal screws, but when I release the pedal there is a claw that is free before the other two, and it no longer comes out.
Do you know what I should do? leave it like that? do I adjust this to be the same as the other two?
I think that if I adjust it like the other two it will lose the compression of the spring and this spring will make less force than the others when I step on the pedal ...

All the best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 24th, 2021, 6:52 pm

rupert's wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 6:31 pm
T... I have adjusted the 3 equal screws, but when I release the pedal there is a claw that is free before the other two, and it no longer comes out.
Do you know what I should do? leave it like that? do I adjust this to be the same as the other two?
Rupert, Have you adjusted the screws according to the manual? I hope so, otherwise you'll have problems.

See pictures below. I hope you can make out the details, it's a poor scanned copy. If you need better pictures, email me.
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 24th, 2021, 7:43 pm

Ken ... I haven't followed the manual, looked in the manual but only found the dipstick setting. I have only adjusted to my opinion.
I have to try to measure and adjust according to the manual, to see if I can measure with everything.
The google translation is sometimes not very clear, the measurement I have to do according to figure 232 from the tip of the claw straight to the clutch disc, right? to the area of the clutch disc where the springs are, right? I mean ... I don't have to remove the clutch, right? :shock: :shock:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 24th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Looking at those directions that needs to be done on the work bench and you will need the 6 inch by 6 inch by .310 gauge block tool.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » August 25th, 2021, 5:21 am

hi

i had one`s a mutt with the same problem at my shop
the solution with this mutt was
at the clutch pedal is a rod with a square at right side
on the square sits a lever with a bolt
the square at the lever was a bit round and the lever was loose so the rod to the clutch had less travel
i weld it up made it square and problem solved
3070.jpg
george
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 25th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Yes now! I have adjusted it to the distance that the manual says, I have traveled about 40 km and everything is fine, the clutch no longer slips, there are no vibrations or anything strange!
Thanks ken for the info! it's great to get help so fast and so successful.
On the other hand, I am missing a nut lock like the one in figure 234. When I adjusted it it was no longer ... Will you lose the adjustment without this lock? Have you any solution occurs?

Jorge ... This part in my car seems fine, but you have reminded me that the rod that goes into this square part of the clutch pedal has a very deep wear groove that gives the pedal more play. I have to remove it to fill this groove with solder for a better fit.

Greetings to all!

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Clutch slipping (solved)

Unread post by muttguru » August 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm

rupert's wrote:
August 25th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Yes now! I have adjusted it to the distance that the manual says,
On the other hand, I am missing a nut lock like the one in figure 234. When I adjusted it it was no longer ... Will you lose the adjustment without this lock? Have you any solution occurs?
Rupert....

the lock nut is there for a good reason. It stops the screw from moving. You have two options:-
- check the adjustment on that screw every day or
- do it properly....dismantle the pressure-plate and add the lock-nut. <<< the best option.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 25th, 2021, 11:33 pm

muttguru wrote:
August 25th, 2021, 5:58 pm
rupert's wrote:
August 25th, 2021, 5:13 pm
Yes now! I have adjusted it to the distance that the manual says,
Rupert....

the lock nut is there for a good reason. It stops the screw from moving. You have two options:-
- check the adjustment on that screw every day or
- do it properly....dismantle the pressure-plate and add the lock-nut. <<< the best option.

Ken
Ken, I have explained myself wrong, the locknut is there, what is not there is a round-shaped plate that holds the screw with the claw. It's a clip that snaps

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 26th, 2021, 10:07 pm

You know what's odd, if you turn the clutch rod lever counter clockwise it tightens up your clutch.