Door Safety Strap Attachment?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Door Safety Strap Attachment?

Unread post by mutt and jeff » October 18th, 2021, 9:23 pm

My A1 has the eyebolts at the front, but I can't feel any holes or an obvious area where the aft end of the door safety strap would attach. A special buckle like the MB/GPW? Or something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance. Is there a date or model switch from canvas to nylon? I'm trying to be consistent and my jerry can and other straps are canvas, so I'm presuming I'd need canvas safety straps?

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Door Safety Strap Attachment?

Unread post by lpcoating » October 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm

There is a loop on the seat back for the PS safety strap.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » October 18th, 2021, 11:14 pm

seat strap.png
Here's the footman loop with strap on passenger seat.Couldn't take a pic of side of seat as too much stuff is in the way. I have a chain wrapped around the saddle bag and seat, thru footman loop so nobody will steal the saddle bag(which was done twice)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark on October 20th, 2021, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » October 19th, 2021, 10:47 am

Hmmmm...now I really get to show my ignorance. I have access to six MUTT seat frames. I thought they were universal as to drivers and passenger seat. But, of the six, five on them only have the loop for the strap welded to the passenger side of the seat frame. Even those installed as a drivers seat. And the canvas and vinyl seat backs have a cut out for the loop on the passenger side of the seat frame only, no provision for a loop on the drivers side of any seat. The one seat frame that does not have any loop at all has a cut out on the seat back canvas for one on the left side, not the right.

My MUTTS have eyebolts on both drivers and passenger sides, so the driver must have had to have one as well as the passenger.

What am I mising? Are there drivers and passenger specific seat frames with this strap loop being the only difference? Are there universal frames and the loop got cut off and rewelded to suit the application? If that were so, why no provisions on the vancas and vinyl seat backs for a loop on the right hand side?

Interesting that the photo shown is of the passenger side where all my seat frames have a loop.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 19th, 2021, 10:55 am

M-151's only had the safety strap on the passenger side. The seats are universal fit, the reason for the loop on the one side is because for the fact the strap was only used on the passenger side. Someone added that eyebolt on yours. They probably also added a loop on their seat. But the thinking was that the driver had the steering wheel to hold on to, and should have been holding onto it at all times.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » October 19th, 2021, 11:10 am

That certainly explains why most vendors sell the straps as individual straps, not as pairs.
Thanks for the quick response. I was getting ready to order a pair. Now, I only need one unless I add a loop to my seat, chich would involve cutting the seat back canvas or adding a loop to the dor opening or wheel well front to accept a strap.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » October 19th, 2021, 5:06 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 11:10 am
Now, I only need one unless I add a loop to my seat, chich would involve cutting the seat back canvas or adding a loop to the dor opening or wheel well front to accept a strap.
Before you do anything rash, check out the photos of the very first batches of M151s as shown in TM9-2320-218-10 dated May 1960. Notice anything?
Yes, there are NO safety straps AT ALL.......NONE. That's how they came from the factory.
The 2B-series and about half of the 2C-series didn't have any and didn't have the eye-bolt on the passenger side either. The doorway, compared to earlier jeeps, was much wider and there was very little to grab hold of ....no grab-handle in those days. The driver had the steering wheel but the passenger in the front seat was at significant risk of falling out.

Eventually, a kit was issued to modify the passenger-side seat as well as to add an eye-bolt......the safety strap and parts came in a kit to be applied to those early trucks....under MWO9-2320-218-30/4.
That seat you have without a footman loop? It's a rarity that must have missed the application of the MWO.

Just for the record, there was no official installation of a driver's-side safety strap.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"