Would A2 have just snorter? Or snorkle and snorter?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Would A2 have just snorter? Or snorkle and snorter?

Unread post by mutt and jeff » March 1st, 2022, 12:03 pm

This A2 that is a fellow club members MUTT has just the snorter on the exhaust along with the exhaust guard coming up the drivers side rear panel and quarter. May or may not have evidence of snorkle attachment points, jeep not in front of me. Owner says he has seen several pics of other jeeps with just the snorter attached. I'm presuming the fording kit would have both installed, but over time, the hose portion of the snorkle has rotted out and the PO would put the mushroom back on the air cleaner and left the snorter in place. I have heard from jeep owners that in the military, after fording, the first thing they did was disconnect the snorter as it affected the exhaust and engine back pressure and caused running issues.

But you guys know more about how these jeeps were actually used, so the question is ...any reason to install just the snorter? Other than appearance.? Owner suggested sand issues in exhaust, but jeep was painted NATO CARC camo, not desert tan, so not thinking this was a middle east jeep. Perhaps just running through small streams and creeks you might want exhaust extended but no need to snorkle higher than the original air cleaner intake.

I'll hang up and listen.

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Would A2 have just snorter? Or snorkle and snorter?

Unread post by csmith » March 4th, 2022, 4:17 pm

I have one that runs with both front and back, no issues, no back pressure issues.
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally it would always have both or none. And I am pretty sure the military would repair the intake before removing it. Plus it is unlikely that the intake hose would rot out in the ten years that the military had the 151 in service. The exhaust may rod a half a horsepower but I don't think anyone has ever put one on a chassis dyno to find out. It is a straight pipe with two 90 degree bends so I doubt you are losing anything there. The downside to the exhaust is the soot they throw on anything and everything behind you. That long exhaust system holds a lot of moisture and with alcohol in the gas it is even worse so a lot of water in the exhaust mixing with the soot from the super clean burning 70 year old technology engine and you get black spots everywhere.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » March 5th, 2022, 9:52 am

At least this snorter is bent at the top backwards. The M38 snorter was a straight pipe, would not keep rain water out and when she blew soot, it went all over the canvas top. We installed a little slip cover on it and it looked like a tractor set up, so we just loosened the three bolts that hold it to the back of the muffler and moved it away so that it looks attached, but is not at the muffler.