Quick question on gauge wiring

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Quick question on gauge wiring

Unread post by 09FordRanger » July 14th, 2022, 8:42 pm

Sorry for the stream of what to most are I'm sure rookie questions (but I am a rookie so . . .) Anyway, working off the gigs on a MUTT that was sitting for too long. Most everything on it is frozen in one form or another. At the moment I am up to trying to fix the oil pressure and temp gauges (I know the engine has good oil pressure and cooling is working OK but feel much better with working gauges). I pulled the instrument cluster and was trying to remove the wiring from the gauges but (like most everything else) the wiring seems to be frozen together as well.

OK so he's my question: How does the wiring separate at the gauges? Does it pull straight out? Unscrew?

I realize it's probably a simple question but this is the first time I've disconnected these particular gauges and have too often tried to force something when I shouldn't have and ended up with the knucklehead award.

Little by little it's coming back. Gotta get those gauges working.

Thanks much gents.
Wiring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Quick question on gauge wiring

Unread post by kmam » July 14th, 2022, 8:54 pm

Just pulls out. Remember they are designed to be waterproof, for when the vehicle is driven under water, so they are very tight and over time, if the rubber hardens, they will be difficult to seperate. You may find that you damage them but you can buy replacements so it is not a disaster.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by 09FordRanger » July 14th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Thanks. I suspected as much but have broken plenty of items in the past by bulling forward. Thought it'd be safer to ask this time. Thanks again.
BTW, the whole waterproof thing certainly had me going with that case that covers the distributor and coil.

buzzinduzzin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by buzzinduzzin » July 14th, 2022, 10:31 pm

get some silicone spray, then take an awl & carefully insert awl into the tight gap between the male & female rubber connectors. then spray silicone into gap you created. you may have to do it in more than one spot to finally be able to pull out connector. good luck

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » July 15th, 2022, 6:43 am

hi

one tip
USE NEVER SILICONE OIL
if you spray it and later you want paint you get fish eye at

use
https://www.thedrive.com/maintenance-re ... ric-grease
or wd 40