Windshield Wiper Motor Defunct

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

glcaines
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Windshield Wiper Motor Defunct

Unread post by glcaines » February 12th, 2023, 5:41 pm

I'm slowly going through the electrical system on my M151A2. I've replaced all of the burned-out light bulbs. I've also replaced the turn signal flasher unit. The only thing electrical that currently doesn't work is the windshield wiper motor. When I tested it weeks ago in the vehicle, and it didn't work, I assumed it was poor ground through the windshield pins and I didn't pursue it further. Well, I pursued it further today and found out the motor or switch is faulty. I removed the assembly and when I put 24 volts to it, there is a direct short to ground internally. It is probably a good thing that the windshield pins weren't making a connection when I originally turned the switch on with it mounted. I've found a supposed NOS one on Ebay and the seller accepts returns, so we'll see what I bought in a few days. Hopefully it really is NOS and works.
M151A2 TOW Launcher
M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
FLU419
M149A1 Water Buffalo Trailer
M105A1 Trailer
XM1061E1 Trailer
M416 Trailer
M116A1 Trailer W/MEP003A Generator
M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle

svramselaar
Major
Major

Re: Windshield Wiper Motor Defunct

Unread post by svramselaar » February 13th, 2023, 8:48 am

hi
you are lucky there is no fuse at the wiper wire from the contact switch
the wiper motor has a intern thermo fuse

george

glcaines
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by glcaines » February 16th, 2023, 10:30 pm

I paid $75.00 for an NOS windshield wiper assembly on Ebay. It is obviously new and un-used and works great. I currently have my windshield off, but will mount it when I put the windshield back on in a couple of days.
M151A2 TOW Launcher
FLU419
M105A1 Trailer
XM1061E1 Trailer
M416 Trailer

glcaines
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by glcaines » February 23rd, 2023, 9:56 pm

I have now mounted the new windshield wiper assembly and found a problem, albeit with a simple solution. The original motor assembly shaft that drives the arm that powers the passenger side blade had a hole drilled in it with a cotter key holding the arm on the shaft. After mounting the new assembly, I looked for the hole for the cotter key and was surprised to find the hole missing. Instead, there is a groove on the new shaft for a circlip. I looked in the TM and the TM shows the groove and circlip like in my NOS motor assembly, with no mention of the previous version I had in my A2 with the cotter pin. Perhaps an earlier TM version shows the cotter pin model. Otherwise, the two assemblies are absolutely identical. I suspect that the assembly I removed was a much earlier version. I just went to the hardware store and purchased a 1/4 inch E-clip circlip. Anyway, the bottom line is that I now have perfectly functioning wipers.
M151A2 TOW Launcher
FLU419
M105A1 Trailer
XM1061E1 Trailer
M416 Trailer

m38inmaine
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by m38inmaine » March 27th, 2023, 6:13 pm

I had an A2 motor showing similar symptoms and not working. There is a capacitor behind the switch for radio suppression, if it goes bad can produce a short to ground. I removed it and wired the switch direct, fixed.
12B
Combat Engineer