Criss-Crossed Turn Signals

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Criss-Crossed Turn Signals

Unread post by ODRotorHead » March 9th, 2023, 10:29 pm

Finally, success. I don’t know if anyone will ever run into this problem again, but I’ll document what I’ve learned so far in the hope that it might help someone someday.

As described earlier, The directional control unit was working correctly (passed all bench tests), but two of the socket contacts in the directional control connector were in the wrong positions. This resulted in the wiring harness producing criss-crossed turn signals. Removing and reinstalling the connector contacts isn’t difficult, but the task requires the right tools. Using the wrong tool can cause damage to the connector that can’t easily be repaired and may require replacement of the entire connector assembly.

Since each family of connector types requires a specific set of tools, I couldn’t take a chance and just guess which tools to use. The challenge then, was to identify the connector so the correct tools could be used to complete the repair.

As luck would have it, my connector doesn’t have markings that can be used to positively identify the type of connector it is. I did a lot of research in an effort to discover as much information about the connector as possible, but wasn’t able to nail it down. Based on characteristics and physical dimensions, my best guess was that it was an MIL-C-5015 connector.

MIL-C-5015 Connector Information 003.jpg

Unfortunately a guess, even a reasonably good guess, just isn’t good enough. I had to wait until I was able to get an assist from another MUTT owner. I got in touch with someone who was willing to pull his connector and check it for markings. The usual socket identifiers (A through H) were embossed on the insulator face, but the letters “ITT” and the numbers 18-8 were also there. Even better, there was a stamping on the barrel that read: MS3106R18-8S.

Putting that all together, the connector is a MIL-C-5015 type connector of the MS3106 “Straight Plug” series. It has a size 18 barrel and an 8 contact insulator. The insulator is a “Light Weight Environmentally Resistant” type with socket (female) contacts. The mounting type is “free hanging,” or “in-line.” ITT represents the manufacturer; ITT Cannon. More recent designations for this connector type are SAE-AS50151 and MIL-DTL-5015.

Now that I had a positive ID on the connector, I was able to determine which tools are required for this connector. There are two. The removal tool is military part number M81969/19-01. The installing, or insertion tool is military part number M81969/17-04. The respective DMC part numbers are DRK16B and DAK16B. The DMC website has an excellent list of installing and removal tools and their specific applications: https://www.dmctools.com/products/insta ... val-tools/

Turn Signal Control Connector 006.jpg

Once I had the right tools, it was simple process to push the sockets (A & B) from the face of the connector, out through the back of the insulator. Reinserting them from the back (with an insertion tool) was just as easy. The signals and flashers are now working exactly as they should.

Thanks again for everyone’s insights and advice.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Re: Criss-Crossed Turn Signals

Unread post by rickf » March 10th, 2023, 8:47 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Special thanks to Dave since he had run into this before and knew exactly what to do.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone