New toy

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

New toy

Unread post by raymond » June 28th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Would normally put this in my "good deal on random gun stuff" but I ordered this one today and felt it deserved a seperate thread. Brownells has a sale on some of their retro rifles. This one is their "Proto 5.56". It is the prototype for the entire AR/M16 series of rifles. It is on sale for $999.99 from $1499.99 but I found a 10% off code with free shipping ( coupon code M9B). This rifle has the cocking handle inside the "carry handle" which really wasn't a carry handle to begin with. The front sight base looks straight out of the AR10. The front handguards are straight from the AR10. The "carry handle" was designed to protect the cocking handle like the AR10 prototypes. No bayonet lug. Tuning fork 3 prong duckbill flash hider. Slick side receiver. Early style dust cover. No capture on front take down pivot pin. Chrome plated bolt and carrier. No bolt forward assist serrations. This is essentially, with obvious exceptions such as the ability to fire full auto, the same gun delivered to the U.S. for consideration as an issue weapon. And it is marked as "brn 601" on the receiver as using the original Armalite and Fairchild Aircraft logos are protected under U.S. patent and copyright laws. Will post photos when it comes in. I expect this one to appreciate in value. But that will be and issue for my heir(s).

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifl ... _1=20%2522
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New toy

Unread post by salt6 » June 29th, 2019, 12:12 am

Does look like the original Armalite ar 15.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 18th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Does it shoot. ? Seems kind of steep to me. Anyway...
I could not get that kind of money for my 1st Gen SP1 made by Colt. Probably because you can buy any AR-15 for 500 bucks now. Who knows. ???

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 19th, 2019, 9:08 am

Haven't shot it yet. Waiting for cooler weather. Price was right with the sale and the coupon code.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus