Lets talk M1's and 30 caliber ammo

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Re: Lets talk M1's and 30 caliber ammo

Unread post by acudanut » July 19th, 2020, 9:49 pm

rickf wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:08 am
You are forgetting one, AK47 in 7.62 and several other European guns chambered in 7.62.
You call the 30 carbine a pistol round, can you name a pistol that shoots that round?
I guess this was already covered. cheers

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 20th, 2020, 10:32 am

rickf wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 7:54 pm
You live in Texas, I could believe you have that setup at the front door.
No, that's where the Schwarzlose M1907/12 Heavy Machine Gun goes. When they kick the door in they'll be staring at that just long enough for a quick bullet to the temple from the Glock. Far more ammo-efficient that way and a heck of a lot less clean up.

Speaking of clean up, one of the best ways to keep people away from your front door is to tape down several old shower curtains to the floor of the front porch with a box created from painters tape along with radial lines just in front of the door. Then leave a handy mop, bucket and several gallons of bleach off to the side. That sends a message. Most people will figure that out real quick.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 20th, 2020, 6:50 pm

The Russians also had a round called the 7.62x25mm Tokarev that they used in pistols of the same name and also in sub machine guns. It is a necked case almost identical to the 7.63x25mm Mauser round. In fact you can shoot the 7.63x25mm Mauser round in a 7.62x25mm Tokarev chambered weapon. But you should not shoot 7.62x25mm ammunition in a weapon chambered for 7.63x25mm Mauser. Since the Russians used the 7.62x25mm round in sub machine guns, they are often loaded hot, too hot for a 7.63x25mm Mauser chambered weapon.

Brings me to this:

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE

DO NOT SHOOT AMMUNITION LOADED TO COMMERCIAL STANDARDS IN A M1 GARRAND OR M1A/M14. COMMERCIAL AMMUNITION HAS A DIFFERENT PRESSURE CURVE AND CAN DAMAGE OR BREAK THE OPERATING ROD ON THE ABOVE WEAPONS. SOME PEOPLE USE COMMERCIAL AMMO WITH NO ILL EFFECT, BUT IT IS NOT WORTH IT. HUNTING AMMO IS AVAILABLE LOADED TO MILITARY SPEC, A SPECIAL PLUG IS AVAILABLE FOR THE ABOVE WEAPONS IF YOU MUST SHOOT COMMERCIAL SPEC AMMO.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 21st, 2020, 6:16 pm

All true. however i was really going after the name M1. Which M1 ?? folks need to clarify. M1 could be be several different rifles. :mrgreen:
My father fought in the the frozen chosin and told me that a M1 carbine could not penetrate a Chinese winter uniform.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 21st, 2020, 6:43 pm

Well, The M1 IS the M1. The M1 carbine is the M1 carbine. That is how I have always heard them called out. Never heard anyone call a carbine an M1 only.As far as not penetrating a Chinese winter outfit, I could believe that. They used those heavy wool and yak fur coats that are damn near like aramid fiber. I heard some realm horro stories from a girlfriends father and his brother that both fought in that arena.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 22nd, 2020, 1:44 pm

The problem with the M1 carbine round was the round nose bullet.
Shoot someone with the same round with a spitzer bullet :idea:

The whole concept of the weapon was to give someone a weapon with a greater chance of hit than a pistol while still being lighter, more compact, and cheaper than a M1 rifle.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus