Were there M416 Tandem trailer trains?

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Were there M416 Tandem trailer trains?

Unread post by mutt and jeff » February 11th, 2021, 12:06 pm

I did a WWII trailer with the Midwest military conversion kit to install a hitch and trailer socket on the rear of one trailer to connect two trailers together. They did this during the war and pics show a jeep pulling several trailers at once. I've got a M416 and a M762 and kicking around the idea of doing the same. Pulling the one trailer behind the other. I like the look of the flatbed being tail end Charlie, but having to install safety chain eye bolts or something on the rear of the 416 might be eliminated if I pul the 762 in the lead and the chains would reach the lift bars at the rear.

Anyway, before I flesh this out, were these trailers ever connected in tandem? Or, did they just get a bigger trailer?

rickf
General
General

Re: Were there M416 Tandem trailer trains?

Unread post by rickf » February 11th, 2021, 12:34 pm

I think that falls under "unapproved field expedient" since the M-151 is only rated to pull one 416 trailer. Anything more is too much weight. And tandem trailers have all kinds of issues with handling, braking and backing so it is not something that the average teenage driver should be doing. Considering that was most of the drivers in that era.
Having been a truck driver and a farmer that has pulled many tandem trailers I can say that I would never want to try it with multiple short single axle trailers. Especially if they do not have surge brakes.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » February 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm

well, this site knows it all ;)

Check this out: http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128 ... 88#p110988 and you will find the answer to your question (scroll up a little and you will find the picture I am talking about)
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » February 11th, 2021, 3:56 pm

This is the wrong subject but same topic--I put a spare tire carrier from under a pick up box(from the old days) under the m416 trailer to carry the trailer's spare tire.Ya, somebody stole it, just like the trailer lites, etc.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm

The answer lies in the fact that the 416 and similar trailers of that size are exceptionally well-balanced in terms of their center of gravity. These are trailers that behave far differently than 'full trailers'. So there is really no comparison to things like the fellows who deliver your luggage at the airport. Flight-line carts are generally full trailers, being pulled by diminutive vehicles that weigh a lot.

How many 416 trailers does it take to equal, or eclipse the weight of an M151?

The forces that act upon a trailer, or trailers during braking and acceleration are magnified by leverage (you brake, the tongue becomes heavier - you accelerate, the tongue becomes lighter, all magnified by its distance from the CG) and each of these actions works its magic upon any other trailer in line.

Similarly, things like being the slightest bit off-center such as in a turn, or sudden stop can produce...ahem... Unexpected Results Leverage not only works on the X axis. It also works in the Y axis!

train_wreck.jpg

Cumulative weight is not a big deal in the matter of towing a single trailer, but a VERY big deal when trailers are coupled together, especially when the hitches are as loose and as sloppy as pintle-type hitches. This is lessened somewhat by the judicious employment of surge brakes if available (and if actually serviceable).

Without brakes, having a conga line of trailers is VERY unwise when coupled with a tow vehicle that is already a lightweight. Toddling around a ranch or an airfield in this way (please stay well clear of those expensive aircraft!) at low speed is one thing. Out on the public street...quite another.

So, the issue really gets down to the old axiom - Just because you CAN do a thing doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » February 13th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I know they did it in WWII with a quarter ton jeep and several quarter ton trailers, so the ratio from WWII vehicles to Vietnam era vehicles, I think, would be almost the same. MWM sells the tandem trailer "kit" which I used to recreate a WWII trailer train. Their listing says it will fit MBT/T3, M100, M415. I believe the 416 is wider than the other trailers, so I don't know how one size rear cross member angle supports would fit all trailers, but they bolt in, so may just bolt in different locations. Includes two angle braces, a pintle support and a trailer socket housing for the side of the tub.
Tandem 2.jpg
Tandem 1.jpg
bomb trailers.jpg
rig 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.