wood rotisserie

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rich_mutt
civilian

wood rotisserie

Unread post by Rich_mutt » February 2nd, 2019, 12:21 pm

I am about to start a full restoration of my 1973 M151A2. I plan to purchase or build my own rotisserie to access all areas of the body for repair. Has anyone ever made or considered making a rotisserie from wood? I'm looking for a cheap alternative to buying one or buying the steel required to weld one up myself.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: wood rotisserie

Unread post by Hambone » February 2nd, 2019, 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Rich, I'm sure a wood one is possible, would take a lot of bracing, I made one that hooks to my 3 pt. hitch on my tractor so I could move it in and out of shop. It was made from scraps I had laying around, post some pics of your jeep, where are you located?, world of knowledge on this site.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 2nd, 2019, 3:13 pm

I have seen some pretty strong supports made from wood but they were also extremely heavy and bulky. It can be done but no matter what you will need steel to attach the body to the wood frame work.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 2nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

If you haven't the means or inclination to build a rotisserie and,

If you have stripped your body down to just the body and,

If you are willing to work on the vehicle while it's at ground level or,

If you have help available; say, several guys with strong backs and weak minds who will work for beer,

Then there really is no reason why you cannot simply carefully roll the body over to whatever position you want it to be at and or lift it onto some thoughtfully built sawhorses for whatever job you are doing. The bodies simply aren't that heavy.

A rotisserie is not a necessity. It's a luxury. Carry on.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 2nd, 2019, 10:51 pm

Example here - http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69 ... 6x6#p58428

I remember reading one time that VZike had made a wooden one as well. I also remember seeing pics of a half moon plywood shapes attached to front and rear which allowed the body to be "rolled". If I remember correctly, they rolled it on its side on top of an old mattress to work on.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Rich_mutt
civilian

Unread post by Rich_mutt » February 3rd, 2019, 2:55 pm

Thank y'all for the quick responses. I will definitely post some pictures of my MUTT. It's in working and driving condition currently but I plan repair the many rust spots and repaint the body to the best of my ability. I know a rotisserie is not a necessity however I will be working on my body mostly alone and the rotisserie will be a huge help. I'll be on the look out for one or may build my own. If anyone is aware of one available near south Louisiana please let me know. I'll also post a message in the wanted section of this forum.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm

Will ya'll look at that. Another member from south LA working on one. Only took 4 years. I think that brings our grand total up to 2. Time to start a club. :D
1960 M151 Run #1
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » February 3rd, 2019, 10:44 pm

As an aside if anyone needs the fittings to attach the 151 to a rotisserie ,I have a set.
The front is fabricated from a cut down Marine Corps bumper
The rear mount lines up with pintal bolts.
Both ends have 2 inch pipe welded in their center for pivots.
$125.00 plus shipping from 02536

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Bucolic
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Bucolic » February 11th, 2019, 12:48 am

I found a drawing of a wooden rotisserie, I don't know where I found it, but if you'll send me your email address I'll send it to you.
Mike Schnitzius SAA.3840@verizon.net
1964 M151 A1

Rich_mutt
civilian

Unread post by Rich_mutt » February 11th, 2019, 11:49 am

Surveyor wrote:Will ya'll look at that. Another member from south LA working on one. Only took 4 years. I think that brings our grand total up to 2. Time to start a club. :D
Nice to see another M151 in South Louisiana. I'm in Baton Rouge and have never seen another M151 in Louisiana until now. Are you planning to do a restoration on you mutt?

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 11th, 2019, 12:50 pm

That's the plan. Albeit a slow one. Runs thanks to the manuals and help from the other members here. Currently working on brakes.

I am aware of one other, an a1 but have not seen it in person. https://geauxguardmuseums.com/m151a2-je ... n-replicas There was another member awhile back with a restored one in Baton Rouge (Rangerboy if I remember name right) but I believe he has since sold it and it went out of state.
1960 M151 Run #1

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » February 13th, 2019, 11:37 am

Rich_mutt wrote:
Surveyor wrote:Will ya'll look at that. Another member from south LA working on one. Only took 4 years. I think that brings our grand total up to 2. Time to start a club. :D
Nice to see another M151 in South Louisiana. I'm in Baton Rouge and have never seen another M151 in Louisiana until now. Are you planning to do a restoration on you mutt?
I am in Laplace, 1967 A1.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm

♫ ♪ We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down." ♫ ♬ :mrgreen:
1960 M151 Run #1