My daughter just left for basic training.

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: My daughter just left for basic training.

Unread post by m3a1 » July 3rd, 2019, 10:52 pm

That's what I used in Afghanistan. These other guys all wanted the high-speed, low-drag, chicks-dig-it crap hung all over their M4s. No thank you!

Cheers,
TJ

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » July 4th, 2019, 10:09 am

Salute me you magots !!!! Its funny you just now saw my title Fleet Admiral...its been up for several years ! And no Raymond...I am land based...not on the water like the regular Navy, ...just under the water or storming onto a beach. But yes, I did command a Deuce and a Half when I was in....and a few HD machines ! Eat your heart out !!!! Also, great to see how your daughter is doing too...keep us posted ! Enjoy our American 4th you all ! SEABEE / Fleet Admiral !!!
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

rickf wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:41 am
Are they still using open iron sights? Always was and still are my favorite type of shooting. Drop the rifle on the optics or fall on it and they are useless, iron sights are just about indestructible.
Just got a letter. Her base for basic training is requiring all the recruits to qualify with both iron sights and a red dot. She already did iron sights and was going to do the red dot qualification today. She said she had already zeroed with the red dot and was really banging the shots. Said she "absolutely loved" the red dot.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 8th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I think she's using an old ACOG.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 9th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I just started using a red dot and it is ok, great for fast acquisition but it covers a lot of the target for precision as far as I am concerned. I think they are good for center of mass shots but if you are shooting competition you need more sight picture.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 9th, 2019, 8:50 pm

I'm thinking about getting a PEQ2 designator for me, and some nods for my cat. :lol:

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 5th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Just talked to her yesterday. She got 290 out of 300 on the physical fitness tests. Made it through the forge, and in using pugile sticks, she beat all the women and she also beat all the guys in featherweight but 1 during competition. :mrgreen:

We are heading that way on Tuesday evening. I get her for most of the day on Thurday for Family Day and part of the day on Friday after her graduation :D
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm

:lol: Me and pugil sticks have a love/hate relationship. Being a 6'3" farm boy I was big and strong and well balanced so I was pretty good with the sticks. Or so I thought. We went up against one of the other training units and I swear to this day the sergeants had money on this but I ended up against a guy who fit the bill of the guy in the Clint Eastwood movie where he was in charge of the misfit Recon platoon and you might remember the guy they called "the Swede"? This was the Swede's big brother! I stood my ground for about 15 seconds before he put me in another time zone! I did run right back up for more. This time I lasted 20 seconds and when hit hit me I took out the first two rows of guys cheering around the pit! The certainly deflated my ego but the guy told me he was impressed because nobody had ever come back for seconds before. We got a good laugh over that. He ended up in my unit in Vietnam and he always told me that being big over there just meant a bigger target! He came home in one piece. I remember his name is Dave but I can't remember his last name.

So you get her on Thursday and Friday morning and then it is PARTY time for her. Congrats to her for the successful completion. With exceptionally high scores across the board from the sounds of it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 5th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Of all the Clint Eastwood movies, This one was pure crap and the most unrealistic movie's I have ever seen. Heartbreak Ridge was a insult to us Jarheads. (my 2 cents).
Anyway congrats on your Daughter. I am sure you are proud.
My Nephew only has 4 weeks left of his 13 weeks of bootcamp. Then he is on to A.I.T. for 4 more weeks of advanced Infantry Training. Then He go's to Ft. Sill for Artillery. Cheers.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 12th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I present to you Private First Class Beverly Abel.

She did not get here chevrons sewed on before graduation as she was promoted for merit to E2-private second class the day before, and her promotion for getting someone to enlist with her didn't catch up with her until the day of graduation.

First photo is family day, the day before graduation, second is during graduation ceremony. Sorry for quality.

Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 12th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Congrats, Proud smiles all across the board there.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 13th, 2019, 2:28 pm

After graduation, I shook my daughter's hand and said, "I want to be the first one to say, Thank You For Your Service.

Poor thing. She started to cry.

Cheers,
TJ

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » August 14th, 2019, 9:36 am

Salute !!!! Great job Raymond .....Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » August 14th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Congratulations to her and family!
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 28th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Beverly has been called up to active duty as part of the 801st Combat Support Hospital. I took her to the airport yesterday. She is currently at Fort Sheridan. From there she thinks it will be to someplace on the West Coast.
Raymond