Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » January 29th, 2020, 1:02 pm

As to the importance of having F-script stuff, or absolutely proper stuff for the build, that's the position this other fella is taking on the slat grill. Only VEP slat grill stuff will do. I can appreciate the thought process, but that's too much of a headache for me and my jeep. Sure, I'll take that position when it comes to half tracks... but jeeps? Nah. They made 700,000 of them (or so I'm told) so I find it hard to get all excited about them. I'm aware that may be blasphemous talk to some folks. My apologies, but that's my position on the matter.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 29th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I know the porsche powered trike is a huge temptation, but you have enough toys, Rick. :wink:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm

I had a couple VW powered trikes over the years. One had a 2180 stroker with dual Weber 48's out of my racing buggy on it. Damn suicide machine but man o man was it fun!!! At least when I was 25 and invincible it was. :lol: :lol: That engine was putting far more horses than the Porsche motors are. The other one had a mild 1850 with a single Weber 44. Still pretty quick and far from stock.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 1st, 2020, 10:43 pm

A Thunder Run was made today, to the coast and back; Boerne-Corpus Christi-Boerne. Drove down and picked up the rolling chassis from the slat grill. Weather was fabulous....such a great day for traveling. I unload tomorrow.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 3rd, 2020, 9:19 pm

Longfellow likes to pull and pull!

Spare air for the inevitable low tire.

Cross-tied front, and rear....

With a safety belt for good measure.

Note the bracket set for the rear legs of the machine gun pedestal. These were post-production add-ons. Judging by the quality of the welds they were added with the body still on the chassis.

Bill Miller's BBQ has become a traditional celebratory stop for all our MV Recovery Trips. It's not haut cuisine but it's reasonably good BBQ (a claim that will always be argued by everyone and anyone) and the quality is the same no matter which restaurant you visit. Also makes for a great place to check load securement.

It looks ugly but the steering on this chassis is absolutely fabulous. Surpise, surprise.

Almost ready to roll on...

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 10th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Hello all,

It's been too long since we had any excitement here and so, to rectify the matter, and at the urging of a bunch of other maniacs on the g838.org, I went and picked up this creature. I want to introduce y'all to The Shmoo (later, to be renamed The Doom Buggy). If you don't know anything about The Shmoo, it's basically a creature of unknown origin whose only purpose in life is to make humankind happier. And what makes us happier here on the g838.org? Photos, of course!

So, enjoy. Tomorrow we'll unload and get a bit better look, weather permitting. If you have questions or want a specific view of this or just have a comment (and let's try to keep them positive, fellas) please, let me know. In the mean time, enjoy.

In the following three shots I cannot but get the feeling I'm looking at some weird Cub Cadet lawn mower. :lol:

IMHO, this bumper and the front bumper are add-ons. This really spoils the exit angle, but it is a lovely place to put Jerry can mounts.

Here's what a front end looks like when it's to be found on the rear end. Weird, but very well executed.

If there's anything I don't like about this, it's the angle on that steering column.

Still 24v. Is that an alternator I see? There is no regulator.
Dig that sketchy 'freeze plug'!

Speaking of sketchy... there's a great place to begin spending a few bucks.

Things are surprisingly businesslike on this rig. Not nearly as slap-dash as I thought it might be.

I would like to point out that there are what I believe to be some add-ons that were done after initial production. Note the strap steel supports for the pioneer kit frame. I guessing the pioneer kit was added later and the headlights were originally mounted to the sides of the grill surround. Additionally, I believe the front and rear bumpers were added. The welds are of a different quality and the bumpers intrude on what would have been exceptionally good entry and exit angles.

Welcome to my son's office. He couldn't wait to sit in it so we grabbed the back seat that had come with the old slat grill (and it didn't belong there, either).

Believe it or not, two big guys like us can fit in there. Add helmets and padding to the roll cage and things will quickly become more cramped.

A quick release steering wheel. How about that!

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 24th, 2020, 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 11th, 2020, 9:51 am

I had asked on the other thread if he would fit in there. If that seat has to be there than you need to extend that roll cage out. Or plan on using shoulders for roll cage! I think the seating is going to have to be reengineered. And the rear steering will definitely have to be set up and functional! What better way to roll a vehicle over than rear steering? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But sure would be fun doing it. :roll: :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 11th, 2020, 10:27 am

A few things to cover...

That rear seat, yeah that's basically what was in it before, the one that was in it is rotted out and sitting in the back of the black f250, did not know where it came from originally.

The wiring job on the steering rag joint is all me baby! In my defense, i backed it out of the driveway, turned the wheel a few dozen times, and the joint pretty much disintegrated, so... Emergency repair to get steering usable again.

The plates for jerry cans... At the same auction, they had the jerry can mounts, straps, and a couple of cans... Problem is, I believe they sold for more than the rail. It was either that, or after winning the rail and the huge engine / shop crane, I figured there wasn't much more I could tow with the jeep before really destroying it.
1967 United Tractor CN-40-A
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2
19?? M151 Sand Rail (passed on to the next victim)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 11th, 2020, 10:58 am

terratek wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:27 am
A few things to cover...

That rear seat, yeah that's basically what was in it before, the one that was in it is rotted out and sitting in the back of the black f250, did not know where it came from originally.

The wiring job on the steering rag joint is all me baby! In my defense, i backed it out of the driveway, turned the wheel a few dozen times, and the joint pretty much disintegrated, so... Emergency repair to get steering usable again.

The plates for jerry cans... At the same auction, they had the jerry can mounts, straps, and a couple of cans... Problem is, I believe they sold for more than the rail. It was either that, or after winning the rail and the huge engine / shop crane, I figured there wasn't much more I could tow with the jeep before really destroying it.
I can assure you it went to a good home. TJ will use up half the sites bandwidth on pictures and VERY detailed descriptions of what he is doing to restore it to its original? glory. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 11th, 2020, 11:25 am

.....found this while cleaning up around the pallet jack and m109....

1967 United Tractor CN-40-A
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2
19?? M151 Sand Rail (passed on to the next victim)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 11th, 2020, 12:28 pm

You knew EXACTLY where that custom shifter was didn't you? Looks like it has a slight custom bend to it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » March 11th, 2020, 2:36 pm

4WS conversion for sure.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 11th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Appears there would be a little clearance issue to be dealt with first...at the trailing edges of the sponsons.... unless one would be willing to go back to the original MUTT-sized tires....
Last edited by m3a1 on April 24th, 2020, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 11th, 2020, 9:56 pm

I worked on the towbar hitch mechanism (rusted up) and the quick release on the steering wheel (also rusted up) today. Got things freed up, cleaned up and put back together but the steering wheel hub is really stuck on that shaft. That may require some persuasion. By the time I got done unloading The Shmoo and then making a second run to terratek's place to haul off his unwanted steel (it was the least I could do...and you know I always do the least I can do! :lol: ) and unloading it my buddy's place, then putting away all the load securement stuff, mowing the back yard and answering all the questions from the regulars who pass by here, there was no time for anything else.

Meanwhile, here's a 360 walk-around of The Shmoo..

I'm beginning to think this thing needs a MUTT grill.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 12th, 2020, 9:17 am

I like how they clocked the starter to keep the wire out of the way. The rear steer could work, you don't really want it to turn as full as the front anyway. I can see from the position of the cage that it was set up just like a buggy and the seat position would have been further forward putting your shoulders inside the cage. But the steering wheel hanging out to the left needs some work. That would need to move over with some u-joints and extended shaft work. A lot of potential there for sure. Oh, Those plates on the back? They are not Jerry can holders, That is where the drunks holding beers stand while you are racing through the pits at the local off road event. :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed