Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » March 18th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Oh, I definitely wanna see those!

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 21st, 2020, 5:59 pm

will grab a pic once i start moving stuff again, currently working on fixing up a 50 gallon tank to bypass the fuel system on the f250 until i have time and weather to remove the bed and redo everything.
1967 United Tractor CN-40-A
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2
19?? M151 Sand Rail (passed on to the next victim)

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

Here's how far I am on the steering. I hit those areas with the wire wheel I chucked up on the drill. Shiny areas are just some metal prep I sprayed things down with until I can get back to it.

Just about everything on this rig that was made of rubber has degraded to the point of being totally unusable. Literally, everything.

Other things that will need doing once the engine is proven.

Motor and trans mounts, and maybe a shorter bolt. We'll donate the leftover metal to the war effort. Maybe the War Department can make a couple extra artillery shells out of that stack of washers. :roll:

Little odds and ends that can be done better...

And what is this all about?

As for other things MUTT-related, one of our members needed an output shaft for his wiper blades and you may recall, I had a brand new one left over from the other job. So, practicing 'social distancing' I put it in the mailbox, protected from this miserable rain and he came by and got it. MUTT mania knows no boundaries but we do our MUTT thing responsibly. Not too shabby, if I must say so myself. We'll get together at a later date.

Also, yet to be done, trying to figure out exactly what the old clutch slave cylinder is and verify exactly how far the M151A1 clutch rod must travel to achieve full release and will it actually work with the M151 master cylinder?

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 24th, 2020, 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » March 21st, 2020, 9:07 pm

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 21st, 2020, 10:45 pm

Size matters and mine's bigger.

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 21st, 2020, 11:08 pm

the closest two slaves i found were an old vw empi one, and i think a harley shovelhead.. neither was a 100% match on mounting, but were a match on throw
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm

Dorman has one that looks almost exactly like it. We're very close to getting prepped to turn this puppy over, followed by a run-up. Until that happens I'm not going to spend much time on peripherals. In no hurry as news is reporting this pseudo quarantine is likely to go far longer than the public expects. This and the half track will likely be my major source of entertainment for some time.

Interesting times we live in!

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:48 pm

As an addendum, I didn't do a single thing on the Doom Buggy today but today I was given a really sweet little fuel bottle, complete with hose, petcock and a method for hanging it. It looks like an oversized blood plasma bottle with a wide mouth on the top. You just hang it near your project as an instant fuel tank for running up engines. By odd coincidence, a week ago I was given a chrome plated medical stand for....you guessed it....hanging drip bags.

It's really weird how these things come together!!

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Today began with waking up, realizing we were all still eyeball deep in this virus thing and thinking, doggone it...it's high time I take the Doom Buggy at least to the next level.

I threw on my 'grubbies' which anyone else but my father and I would refer to as 'work clothes' and sallied forth. Getting no joy at the starter, I spent a little time figuring out I had put the hot lead to the starter switch on the terminal of the starter solenoid that leads to the starter which is wrong, wrong, wrong. Remember this thing may be mostly MUTT but it's not all MUTT so there are some notable differences. Now, electrical stuff often has me bamboozled and takes me a little time to come 'round but I usually muddle through to a workable resolution somehow.

While I was mulling that wiring issue over I removed the starter, bench tested it, didn't like how the Bendix was behaving, so I cleaned that up a little, lubed it and it worked a whole lot better. I also found one of the mounting studs for the starter wasn't in all the way and hadn't been for some time so I took that out, cleaned everything up, lubed it and put it back in the way it needed to be. If you've begun to see a lot of repetitive process in testing, removing, cleaning and lubing in this project, you'd be right. You can accomplish a lot with a little if you're willing to give things a nip and a tuck. True, I'm addressing some things that aren't at all necessary items but it's nice to be able to move forward, leaving little, or nothing behind undone.

So finally, I figured out where I went wrong with my wiring and with that resolved, the solenoid was happy to cooperate and the starter hauled that engine over at a very nice pace. Naturally, we just had to give it a little shot of ether and the engine briefly came to life. I LOVE and live for these moments. Unfortunately, I had overlooked that the fuel line was just hanging there and it pumped out some pretty awful stuff. So I stopped, dropped and mopped everything up, added a fuel hose to a gallon jug to catch whatever was coming out of that fuel tank. Darned stuff smelled like concentrated evil.

I pulled tha carb back off and gave everything a once over and made a call to the carb guru (I now owe him a dollar) and then I put everything back together and then put it on the truck with a new manifold gasket. Hooked up my temporary fuel source and that engine fired right up again and chugged happily away. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't check the oil pressure gauge but oil was creeping up the line to it (always a positive sign) and I didn't dare run it long because there was absolutely no coolant in there, owing to the fact that there is still a freeze plug that needs to be replaced.

But, by golly, the son of a gun runs! WooHOO! I think the carb is going to need another going over but it will keep the truck running and has good throttle response. It just leaks gas from (how shall I say?) "inconvenient and embarrassing places." What all this means is that I can now, in good conscience, devote some time to other things that need doing; things that wouldn't be worth doing if the engine had turned out to be a clunker. But, we've got a LIVE ONE so today ended on a happy note.

Cheers,
TJ

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 24th, 2020, 10:49 pm

oh come on, i told you it ran and i replaced the line to the oil gauge :P look at the bright side, you pumped out the tank, but i took care of it so you didn't pump out the oil ;)

well... it ran until you started fixing the wiring anyway :P
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 25th, 2020, 3:17 am

Well, to be fair, you told me it "turned over" which I took to mean just (and only) that...and yes...guilty as charged, I bolloxed the wiring when I replaced the starter solenoid. :lol:

I know you haven't been over every inch of this thing so I'm going to find things that carry over from the original owner. But it RUNS!! and I'm pretty stoked about that.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 28th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Here's a little update to help you enjoy your morning coffee on whatever day we are at in the historic Corona Virus 15-day-stay-at-home-marathon!

Here we have a little Green Army man 'busting a cap' on a Corona! Yes, that's right, boys and girls! Somebody made a little green Army man bottle opener...for real. Got mine off of eBay.

And by the way, if anyone sees my wife...tell her I miss her. You'll recognize her immediately. She looks something like this....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I made a chastity belt for our freezer. I can't be there to watch over it every minute. This may help keep things where they belong. At the very least, I think it says - GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. THE OWNER DOESN'T WANT YOU HERE.. I will soon make a modification to cover the loop so it isn't quite so vulnerable. Yes, yes, I know....there are other ways to get in this freezer....but the message is chiefly what it's there for.

Followed this up with primer and a nice Hammered Black finish. Whether it's black or green depends upon the light. It looks green in the photo. Weird.

Anyway, I think it has a nice, businesslike look about it, don't you?

Such a lovely day today. The weather was P E R F E C T. And so, I turn my attention to the Doom Buggy; chiefly to the matter of that rubber expansion plug just below and behind the exhaust flange. It's old, it's leaking, and it just ain't right.... just like me! :lol:

Located behind the exhaust flange mount, it's more secure than what's in my freezer so the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold must be removed. Happily, someone had been there before and the bolts are steel. None of that stainless steel bolt nonsense on this job!

With the manifolds removed, let's get ready to RUMBLE! Oh BOY! Getting that old rubber plug out was a struggle! The block was already drained but there were still some rather creepy looking residuals coming out. Once the worst came out, I sluiced out a bit more. Nasty looking stuff...and a nice piece of schmutz in the bolt hole, above...

Everything off. No muss. No fuss. No chalky after-taste! Carb and manifold removal literally took no more than 12 minutes. I timed it. Zing!...very straightforward. As the mountain climbers say...God bless the flat spots! I really love it when I finally get a break.

A tiny brush on a Dremel tool took cleaning the mating surface for the expansion plug this far. Not good enough, though. So, some emery cloth and a little elbow grease brought everything back to normal and gave the surface a little 'tooth' for the sealer to grab onto. The new plug will be seated to a depth even with the inner shoulder of the chamfered edge.

I thought this boss was going to present a problem as it was my intent to set the new expansion plug with a large socket I use on the half track and that socket overlapped the edges of the new plug by a great deal. Hole to the lower right is for the drain cock.

Doped up the surface on the block with Permatex and allowed it to stand for just a bit. Followed up with a coating on the edges of the new plug which is 2 - 9/64" diameter (for those of you who are curious as to the size, don't go looking for 2 1/8" which is the measurement you'll come up with if you measure the hole.)

The large socket was a great idea, right up until I discovered that the mount for the clutch slave cylinder was just a bit too much in the way to get a suitable whack with a hammer and, while I would generally agree that installing the plug with a socket against the inner face of the plug is not a good idea, it became a necessary evil. But the plug went in, very straight, very tightly, and offering the kind of resistance I was expecting so, I'm quite sure we have a very good seal. Permatex is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.....or is that beer?

After this photo, I added just a touch more Permatex to the shoulder of the plug just to provide a tiny bit more to help form a seal around the edges of the plug, inside the block.

Spent the rest of the late afternoon just kind of cleaning up everything related to the manifolds and examining the hardware in minute detail. As it turns out, the bolts they used on the top row of the intake manifold were each about 1-2 turns too long which they made up for by adding an extra lock washer to the stack. Naughty naughty! Another goof is the bolts on the clamps at the ends of the exhaust manifold had lock washers. They're not supposed to have 'em...they're only supposed to have the washers with bendable tabs. So that's pretty high on the list of things to do because it makes getting proper torque a dicey proposition. NO matter. Plenty of time to address that because replacement gaskets had to be ordered.

So much to do and ....well, LOTs of time to do it, as it turns out!

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on August 26th, 2020, 11:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

terratek
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by terratek » March 28th, 2020, 11:14 pm

looking good :) my day was spent picking up trashed rifles and shotguns to work on and finally removing the electrode from my 50 gallon tank (3 days of electrolytic rust removal, heck of a difference), inside looks great, sprayed with corrosion-x, tomorrow i start modifying a fuel level sender to work with it and hopefully get it on my truck.
1972 M109A3
1987 M105A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 28th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Yessir. It's coming right along!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 30th, 2020, 8:56 am

Did you get bored and decide to repost all the pics again for some reason?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone