Barn Find

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Barn Find

Unread post by m3a1 » July 7th, 2024, 11:17 am

I'm a little concerned about lateral loads on those verticals. Have you any plans for cross-bracing or gusseting?

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » July 8th, 2024, 8:09 am

m3a1 wrote:
July 7th, 2024, 11:17 am
I'm a little concerned about lateral loads on those verticals. Have you any plans for cross-bracing or gusseting?
No more bracing, just a slab and 4 runs of 6" purlins around it to attach my sheet metal. May get spray foam insulation if I can afford it, first quote was $8K, sounds a little high.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 9th, 2024, 11:05 am

Last time I built something like that (and it's still standing and square to this day) I welded loops to the verticals and criss-crossed cables between the verticals, under tension, attached to those loops. Of course, I had free materials for that. Cable ain't cheap.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 9th, 2024, 11:47 am

One thing I am not is an architect but I kind of have to agree with TJ. That is a lot of weight up high and susceptible to wind loads and all that is holding it is drill pipe. Granted, that is quite strong but it can bend and if that starts it will not stop until the ground stops it. Even if you only cross the first section in from the ends front and back and the sides front to back that would double your lateral strength.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » July 9th, 2024, 2:19 pm

I will take all that into consideration, but my barn has trusses heavier than these sitting on 3" drill stem, it's been standing 30+ years. I didn't skimp on the footers, six 80# bags of quikcrete in each footer, once I get the walls tied in, I should be fine. I had pretty good winds last night from the hurricane, it's still standing, I'll keep my insurance paid up. :lol: Finally got my tins back for the Kawi triple, should be looking sweet soon. :D
h1paint1.JPG
h1ffender.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 9th, 2024, 5:01 pm

rickf wrote:
July 9th, 2024, 11:47 am
One thing I am not is an architect but I kind of have to agree with TJ. That is a lot of weight up high and susceptible to wind loads and all that is holding it is drill pipe. Granted, that is quite strong but it can bend and if that starts it will not stop until the ground stops it. Even if you only cross the first section in from the ends front and back and the sides front to back that would double your lateral strength.
Yeah... I did one end and two sections of both sides, chiefly because I had the materials and it was not an additional expense.

Strong buildings are happy buildings.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » July 11th, 2024, 2:30 pm

I know you guys are probably tired of seeing this crap, I just like bringing junk back to life, got the Free Spirit MX finished up, need to find a front reflector.
free spirit fin2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.