Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

fowlercal
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

Unread post by fowlercal » October 12th, 2023, 5:51 pm

TJ,

Don’t forget about Round Top. It starts today!

Cal

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 12th, 2023, 11:26 pm

Went back out to the jeep chassis with the idea that I would be able to get the LR brake drum off with a heavier hammer and WOW was that thing stuck, even after I relaxed the eccentric cams for the heel/toe brake adjustment.

STUCK
STUCK
STUCK

So, I dropped back and punted.

After all, this was just a CJ rear and and not of much use to me. Out came the Death Wheel. I buzzed the center mounting plate off the drum. With that gone I was really no further along in the matter of getting the drum off but, I sure felt better to see the axle turned without difficulty. At least I would be able to use the tow dolly to get this hunka junk home. However, the drum hung in there. So, I made a descending orbital cut across the drum's width (in order to try to keep from cutting the brake backing plate too badly). Didn't do too well with that but the drum was eventually bisected.

I pried the cut drum apart and the drum came away from the front shoe but the back was playing hard to get. Rust nodules had grown and effectively nailed the drum to the back shoe but with a mighty swat with a 5 lb maul and with the extra space created by the bisection, it finally parted and fell away and about half a pound of nastiness that looked like ground up dark roast coffee beans spilled out onto the ground. With that, I reckoned I would have had to make those cuts no matter what and so, felt vindicated for going at it with the Death Wheel. It was the nuclear option but some times that's what it takes.

The front brakes were equally as bad but that axle didn't have to be on the ground so I'll struggle with those after I get it here. All that was left was to pilfer a set of roller tires from the other chassis and get them and some 90wt for the CJ rear end (which, from the sound of those gears, was completely devoid of any lubrication). Longfellow is loaded up and after a few days, we'll go get the bugger, take a short drive, bring it up into the driveway for a quick parting out. Taking stuff apart without obligation to put it back together is always fun.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 13th, 2023, 9:30 am

It's TORCH TIME!!!!!!!! Death wheel is fine but it is noisy, takes a long time and makes a hell of a mess of you and the surrounding area.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 13th, 2023, 11:38 pm

At last, the cap top lock set mystery is solved and, if you ever think you may find yourself buying a used commercial style cap top this next bit might just be a worthy read.

My morning cuppa was interrupted by a call from the locksmith. He opened up my locks and found they were 'programmable' or 'learning' locks and, would I care to bring the third down so that he could do them all at once? Yes, there would be new keys cut but, not for the existing locks. They would all have to be restored to their pre-programmed profile.

Here's the tricky bit and it's worth knowing. Leer (and mayhap many other commercial style cap top manufacturers) has decided that it would be advantageous to match their cap top lock sets to the truck they are on and the way they do that is to install locks that can be matched to a truck's ignition key by simply installing the ignition key into the lock and giving her a bit of a hootchie cootchie twist. Personally, I'm not sure if it's advantageous for Leer or the consumer, but that's the deal, take it or leave it.

I learned all of this when I drove down to San Antonio and dropped off the third and final lock set. Locksmiths don't get to share much of their knowledge with consumers who are usually satisfied just to have a lock set that works and a suitable key to go with it. But I was curious. So, I asked some questions about all this and got the Reader's Digest version of how these programmable lock sets work.

First and foremost, when new, they have a little plastic pin in them that holds all the working bits back in a neutral position. When you insert the key and twist it, the pin breaks (that's what he said) and allows the lock's pins to drop and conform to the cuts and bits of the key. No comment on what keeps the pins from migrating back but I digress. Thus, the lock is then 'programmed' at the time of first use.

The bad news is, these locks aren't 'all that' and apparently are easily defeated by someone with a little lock-picking skill and a thingy that also vibrates a key as you turn it. I got this particular bit of news at the tail end of the transaction. Oh well. Waddya gonna do? I'm not going to any job sites with this, nor am I going to keep it loaded with expensive tools.

The real fly in my ointment was that the lock sets were designed for 'Sidewinder' keys. These are keys that are laser cut on the sides. The relieved area is just a wiggly cutaway...wiggly, like a snake. And I didn't have any keys like that...nor was I likely to find any cast off sidewinder keys just laying around. So, I ended up buying three re-zeroed programable lock sets and the locksmith simply cut two new keys to a random pattern, plugged 'em into the lock sets and "re-programmed" those lock sets right there in the shop. Done and done. He even comped me on one of the keys which I found to be extraordinarily generous and probably because I gave him the time of day and showed genuine interest in his craft. Not exactly rocket science, but still...enlightening.

Never pass up an opportunity to learn something new, fellas.

After collecting my goodies from the locksmith, I went over to the cap top dealer to pick up the new rubber trim for my top. the old stuff had been smoked by the hot Texas sun. There, I met the young lady whom I had spoken to. As I imagined she would be, she was seated behind the counter with her puppeteer seated nearby. She asked me how it went with the locksmith, as she was genuinely curious. I told her what I learned about those lock sets and she admitted it was something she hadn't been aware of. I told her that, if she had known about their use of programmable locks, I might have been slightly ahead (money wise) buying them as part of a complete latch mechanism and then transferring them over to my existing latch mechanisms....but only if they could supply programmable locks for my particular truck's style of key...which is not a Sidewinder style.

Personally, I'm calling the whole thing a draw (having made good decisions based upon what I knew at the time). Forewarned is forearmed so if this little story is useful to anyone, it will have been worth the time to write it up.

But, it's also a big win because I have a lockable top now, and two new keys; one for each key ring for Longfellow. For those times where I'm on an outing that involves portable, bulky, expensive pieces of kit, I can be away from the truck for a little while without having to hold my breath about what I might find or, find missing from my truck. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 14th, 2023, 9:59 am

I have never picked the Leer locks but I have done many of the Kwickset auto change locks and they are a joke. There is not just one combination you need to hit to pick it open, there are many that will open it. I only use Schlage and Medeco high security locks on my own stuff. Both have interchangeable cores and I can change the keys anytime I want. ( I am a locksmith and have the tools and pinning kits) They are sidebar locks with anti bump pins so the vibrator and bump key methods will not work. They can be picked but the people with the skills to do it are not going to be stealing from a pickup truck or a house in a residential neighborhood. People with those skills are locksmiths and very high end thieves.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 17th, 2023, 8:54 pm

Well, the malignant jeep is finally home. Actually, it's been home for three days but my last post was gobbled up by the internet and only God knows where it is. So, here's the Reader's Digest version.

Dragged it up onto the tow dolly with Bill's big winch after going back to town to get it because he insisted that his small winch was good enough, not knowing that -

(1) you always bring your biggest winch for ANY sort of recovery
(2) 'just enough' isn't good enough
(C) there's a big difference between gross weight, rolling weight, and rolling resistance (such as is the case with half a WWII jeep with a steering axle with wheels that did not roll)
(4) when TJ puts his beard on his chest, closes his eyes and mutters, "Sure" you should stop trying to convince him that your tiny winch will do
(5) it's okay to insist on bringing your own kit to a recovery if you are ABSOLUTELY SURE what you have on hand will do the job.

So, we wasted another 40 minutes going back and forth and re-rigging a winch. But, once that was done, it was clear sailing. The old roller tires I had put on the jeep chassis held air (and, remarkably, are STILL holding air after having been asked to go down the road one more time). I dragged it home without so much as a hiccup. The hiccup came when it was time to back the whole thing into the driveway. Then, everything went all pear shaped.

Luckily, it was Sunday and around dinner time so traffic was nil and each try at getting the whole Magilla stabbed into the driveway was thwarted by the chassis going the opposite of where I wanted it to go, despite all of Billiboi's dramatic gesticulations. I didn't know if Bill was practicing hand signals for the flight deck of an aircraft carrier or singing The Village People's Y-M-C-A back there. Watching him was all very confusing, so I just relied upon my mirrors. (...and this is a guy who used to direct traffic for a living...SHEESH!) I knew where I wanted it to go but the chassis was having none of it and if I allowed Bill to flap his arms much more, he was likely to take flight. So, I stopped and hollered to Bill, "Just steer the chassis to the right" whereupon Bill got that glazed-over look in his eyes. He may have been laying a peach pit or he may have not understood what I was saying.

I got out of the truck, faced Bill in order to ensure I was being heard, grabbed an imaginary steering wheel out of the air and pretended to turn right while hollering, "Steer The Chassis To The Right!" Bill looked at me like he had finally laid that peach pit in his pants.... and then walked over to the jeep's steering wheel, scowled at me, and gave it a mighty tug to the right and to the left (MORE dramatic movements, mocking and miming my imaginary steering wheel shtick). Naturally, the steering wheel did not move very much because the steering axle was firmly attached to the dolly and the back tires were on the pavement. Duh!

This conversation devolved into several oaths being hurled back and forth (bringing mothers into this sort of thing is never allowed) and since the street was still free of cross traffic I walked back to Bill who was standing his ground on the supposed folly of making steering inputs on a vehicle whose steering axle is strapped down on a tow dolly. Bill loudly restated his position one more time - "I can't steer this @#%$**&^$%^ thing with the wheels tied down!"

There we were, in the middle of the street screaming at each other like an old married couple.

I loudly restated mine. "Yes, you CAN steer this @#%$**&^$%^ thing. It just has to be MOVING which it is not doing right now because I am standing here in this @#%$**&^$%^ street, arguing with a @#%$**&^$%^ idiot about something I happen to know something about. Didn't you used to be a fireman? Ever drive the rear end of a hook and ladder? SAME PRINCIPLE! Just turn the @#%$**&^$%^ thing to the @#%$**&^$%^ right and the chassis WILL go right!" Now just do what I'm asking you to do and if the @#%$**&^$%^ thing doesn't work you can tell me ITOLDYASO from now till the end of time or until you're blue in the @#%$**&^$%^ face. Whichever comes first!

I turned around and went to the truck grinding my teeth and after only a few feet, I was already past the broad strokes plan and was contemplating the finer details on how best to dispose of his body after slowly, ever so slowly, choking the life out of him. And with Bill finally steering to the right on HIS end, and the chassis going to the right on ITS end, I steered MY end and we went backward into the driveway in one fell swoop....

Just
That.

Sunday afternoons used to be such pleasant days.

Just SHUT UP And Do What The Hell I Tell Ya To Do Merit Badge - AWARDED

Planning A Gruesome Murder Merit Badge - AWARDED

Where am I now with this fine steed, you ask? Well, I allowed myself a little time to get my head really wrapped around the engine which, after some sleuthing, turned out to be from a M38. Yes, the block is cracked but what about the rest of the engine which was rebuilt by Red River Arsenal in 1957? Overbored .040. Under .020 on the mains and rods. Jeep engines aren't exactly run long and hard like normal cars so what about it? At first blush, it looked like it was going to be a total write off with no spark plugs in the head and the cylinders and the carb open to the elements (until someone put a rock on the carb which effectively did nothing to help). I took the carb and the head off and as expected, it was filled with water and what have you. I removed the intake and exhaust and let the water out. I dried out the cylinders which had rustcicles at the top Everybody said it was toast. I didn't deny it...but had this nagging feeling.

OH! Ye of little faith!

Last night I poured some 9% vinegar in the cylinders and let her cook and fizz. Today, Bill helped me futz around with the valves. Three were stuck. I tickled and cajoled them until they were not stuck. Even the valves and seats, which could use a level 4 tidy up, showed promise. WIN!

This evening I mopped those cylinders out and BEHOLD! the rustcicles were from the head and only ended up ON the cylinder walls due to gravity. This illustrates a point. It ain't over till YOU say it's over, fellas.

Doubting Timmus Achievement Badge - AWARDED!

I scoured and cleaned the cylinders out thoroughly, did a final wipe down with PB blaster and then laid in a healthy dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, with the intention of letting it just sit for a while. Gents, those cylinders don't even have a wear ring at the top so I am feeling very, very lucky at the moment.

DANG!

Maybe I can get it to roll over in situ or maybe I'll have to take it out, tear down the bottom half and knock the pistons out. No matter what, I really can't lose. Can I get it to run? I'm sure I can. It is a relatively fresh engine, after all. Is it worth the effort with a cracked block? Probably not but, it has kinda become a matter of honor to hear it pop off once...and be able to say I did it.

One thing is assured. The fun I'm having with this is worth the price of admission.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on October 19th, 2023, 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 18th, 2023, 9:18 am

Depends on where and how bad the block is cracked. Blocks have been welded for years and years and these old military Jeep blocks are getting real hard to find. you might just find some Military Jeep fanatic that would be more than happy to have it, especially if it runs. He might even be willing to pay you for it.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 18th, 2023, 10:49 pm

There is a 99% chance it will be pickled and put on the back burner for now. Tomorrow I'll take a crack at getting it unstuck.

Today we went to Warrenton. I was looking for a couple of grease caps for the hubs of the Model T. I asked vendor after vendor if he/she had any. The response was always the same - "NOPE." A total of seven vendors went on to say that they had some at home, but didn't bring them. Sakes ALIVE! If you are a vendor and have something to sell with the famous FORD script on it....BRING IT! It will ALWAYS sell. Ford aficionados can't seem to help themselves.

But, fate was very kind to me today. I came home with -

Two iconic WWII 30cal ammo cans in fair shape (I have a small mountain of these and grab them up whenever I can)
One VERY rare WWII, metal military box meant to hold ten, 20-round mags for the Thompson submachine gun (an item I turned over to Bill who was thrilled to have it)
Had a shop keeper give me (she GAVE IT to me!) a minty WWII, U.S. Army Air Corps cloth pilot's helmet (apparently they just don't sell well)
I bought a Fairbanks platform scale that had THE CRITICAL MISSING PIECE for the one I was working on at home; removed said piece and left the rest of it sitting right where I found it because, it was really only suitable as an organ donor and otherwise, it was a total piece of Shhhhhhinola
Picked a 26.5" diameter buzz saw blade for a song.

And if that wasn't enough, I stumbled upon a small howitzer (you might call it a cannon) which is going to require some serious research on the ol' internet. Heavy as sin. Wall thickness is stupid thick. Bore is 1 7/8-ish. But has no trunnion or any other such necessary kit. Had it for five minutes and another vendor hinted vigorously that he wanted to buy it. Nope. Sorry. Still, I should have let him get an offer out of his mouth. Silly me. But, I wanted the excitement to last for more than five minutes.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 19th, 2023, 10:21 pm

Got busy with the jeep engine today. It was still unwilling to budge but that is not always a sign of an engine that is frozen solid. Remember what I said. It ain't over till YOU say it's over. With chemicals not achieving the desired results, I mopped out the cylinders with rags and applied heat with MAPP gas and then followed up with more PB Blaster, more mopping, more heat, more oil, more mopping, more heat, more Marvel MM...wash, rinse repeat. This was only prep, of course. For those of you who are curious, the amount of heat I used was equal to "fry an egg hot' which IMHO isn't really super-super hot....but hot enough to get things expanded a bit. Can I say that it helped? No, but it felt right to do it.

I brought out the big guns - my shipbuilder's hammers. Shipbuilders have no end of metal odds and ends from which to make themselves tools (in this case, hammers) and they are BIG, HEAVY slugs of metal, usually with an equally large handle-shaped slug of metal welded to them. Use these for a day and you'll be well on your way to looking like Popeye. Try to hang one of these BFHs on your belt and your pants will be down around your ankles with the first step you take.

So, with one heavy hammer laid flat against the top of a piston and another being carefully swung on it, things immediately began to move. A tiny bit of movement at first and a bit more movement with each successive blow. I dropped the two center pistons below the line of crap that was hanging them up (surprisingly, it was mostly carbon) and then began to drop the outer two pistons so they too could be cleared out. Like bolts that seem to be rusted solid throughout (and are usually only rusted in the first 3 or 4 thread turns) so too were the pistons. All the junk hanging things up was at the top, so I was careful not to drive the opposing pistons too far into their own waste.

Some of the junk was harder than other bits of junk and with some careful scraping with a box cutter blade, I cleared most of it away from the face of the cylinder. Then I went back to my Popeye exercises. Got every piston going a full inch of travel, 1/2" up and 1/2" down from their origin point and then started barring things over at the flywheel and then as that began to get a bit easier, I switched over to the big nut at the end of the crank. I moved things back and forth...a bit more each time...and finally an inaugural 360 degree turn...followed by another, the opposite way. The varying liquids I had on hand were added to the piston tops and with the pistons now coming all the way up to the top of the block, I wiped away the lubricants and whatever contaminants they brought with them and then laid on a different flavor. In this way, some cleaning was being done while I exercised those pistons up and down.

Things were definitely looking better in the cylinders and the 360 degree rotations were becoming easier and the valves were doing their thing as well. Full rotations were not 100% EASY and definitely not like the slickery movement of a happy, healthy engine....easier through a few degrees and harder in others. This has a little ways to go but it's on the right track and I think we're about due for a quick, light skim of the cylinders with a flat hone just to knock off the odd high points that are holding things up.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 20th, 2023, 8:18 pm

Well, alrighty then! It's time to get this monstrosity out of the driveway and put aside. Bill and I tried every trick we knew to get that left front brake freed up and it was having none of it. So, since the drum is located inboard of the hub, I puled a version of the previous plan, which involved cutting off the drum and instead, I cut away half of the drum (basically above the equator with the idea that this might ease up some of the tension and even possibly give me some hint as to what the real trouble was.

What the trouble WAS, was that the steel structure of the brake shoe had rusted up mightily, BELOW the asbestos pad and you know what rust does. It expands! So the rust had levered the pad up off the steel backer, destroying all the rivets, and putting a tremendous amount of strain against the drum. Friends, there is no way to deal with that and I saved myself a great deal of heartache by going straight for the throat on this job. All that was left was to rotate the thing once or twice and watch all the rust and asbestos brake pads fall out. With that done, it rolled nicely...with half a brake drum and not much else.

I decided to manually clean up the head which is a civilian head. I'm gonna need that to button this engine up for long-term storage. Between it having the 'wrong' head, the cracked block and the kinda-sorta new water pump I have concluded the block cracked, the driver was unaware of it and drove it straight into an overheat situation once or twice, concluded he had a water pump problem and replaced that and then found out he had also warped the head. So, after a new water pump and a civvy head had been installed (and probably feeling all good about things) he then drove it right back into an overheat situation and finally figured out the block was cracked.

Cue the Sad Trombone - Womp-womp, womp-womp, womp-wommmmmmp....

I got hold of Frank the Wizard and gave him the good news about the engine turning over. To say he was astounded is an understatement. He was bettin' on the wrong pony. So, my reputation as a miracle worker is still safe.

Cheers
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on October 20th, 2023, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 20th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Ok, Mr. Miracle worker, Lets see you get one of those flathead Fords turning!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 20th, 2023, 11:36 pm

All in good time, friend. All in good time.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 21st, 2023, 6:46 am

I've been following these "adventures" of yours for a few years now, and it leaves me with questions:

Have you ever fully finished a project vehicle to completion :?: :?

Or do they get sold before that :?:

Or do they just pile up on your property :?: :shock:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 21st, 2023, 10:21 am

You know the "Nice Lady" property he was cleaning up? It just moved is all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » October 21st, 2023, 3:07 pm

and now, for something completely different. i took my first and only trip to DC on an honor flight. here i am in front of the three soldiers statue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.