A possible alternative carb

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

sherwan_88
Major
Major

A possible alternative carb

Unread post by sherwan_88 » December 31st, 2009, 8:54 pm

I came across this carb after a very long search and it seems quite a attractive replacement for the Zenith. They sell for $150. They were supposedly also fitted on 2.2L Landy's which for the most part got my interest. It do seems to operate exactly like the Zenith, at least they look very similar to it, the only difference i see that its a downdraft.

The real question is, has anybody used Weber's and do they actually run for a while? Are they "Green Fuel" friendly? or are they just another collectors carb?

http://www.webernorthamerica.com/34_ICH_weber_carb.html

Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

rickf
General
General

Re: A possible alternative carb

Unread post by rickf » January 1st, 2010, 12:10 pm

Webers are good carbs but like every other company they have their throw away version. Not quite up to the quality of their good carbs. I used to run dual Weber 48's and 34's on VW racing motors I had built and they ran well. There was also a Weber replacement carb mad for the VW that ran fairly well. I am not familiar with this particular carb though.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » January 1st, 2010, 1:34 pm

Won't mounting a downdraft carb on it's side be a deal breaker for the float bowl? :(
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

gpready
usmc cwo3
usmc cwo3

Unread post by gpready » January 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm

I used to run a Weber 34/34 in my civvy jeep that has a 258, I-6. It was a solid carb.....needed alot of attention to keep it running correct......overpriced but not necessarily overrated. Believe it or not, I went back to the stock Carter carb, by-passed the computer plug/electric choke, etc...and been running like a champ for over 3 yrs now with no issues.... My 2 cents though.

Joe 8)
1976 M151A2 USMC

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » January 1st, 2010, 3:20 pm

gpready wrote:I used to run a Weber 34/34 in my civvy jeep that has a 258, I-6. It was a solid carb.....needed alot of attention to keep it running correct
Joe 8)

Sounds like a Zenith :lol:. Seriously I think as long as you rebuild it correctly and keep your fuel and filters clean you shouldn't have problems with it once its dialed in correctly. I haven't had any issues since I followed Ricks advice and did a complete rebuild on mine. The only difference is that I'm running 100ll fuel.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 1st, 2010, 7:31 pm

Rainman wrote:Won't mounting a downdraft carb on it's side be a deal breaker for the float bowl? :(
It would be simple to make an adapter.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » January 1st, 2010, 8:05 pm

rickf wrote:
Rainman wrote:Won't mounting a downdraft carb on it's side be a deal breaker for the float bowl? :(
It would be simple to make an adapter.
Thats the idea...
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » January 1st, 2010, 8:14 pm

Cobra5 wrote:
gpready wrote:I used to run a Weber 34/34 in my civvy jeep that has a 258, I-6. It was a solid carb.....needed alot of attention to keep it running correct
Joe 8)

Sounds like a Zenith :lol:. Seriously I think as long as you rebuild it correctly and keep your fuel and filters clean you shouldn't have problems with it once its dialed in correctly. I haven't had any issues since I followed Ricks advice and did a complete rebuild on mine. The only difference is that I'm running 100ll fuel.
Cobra,
The real problem is local availability of parts, i was able to find NOS carbs a while back, and would simply pull off the bad one and put on a new one, but i can't seem to find any more now. All the retired M151's are instantly put up for an engine swap, a very handful of people actually run the original engine and they do seem to keep it mostly locked away. Zenith's don't seems to last a while, maybe its the air or the fuel but they sure get banged up pretty quick here. If only someone had a place full of Zenith's :D
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » January 1st, 2010, 8:37 pm

rickf wrote:Webers are good carbs but like every other company they have their throw away version. Not quite up to the quality of their good carbs. I used to run dual Weber 48's and 34's on VW racing motors I had built and they ran well. There was also a Weber replacement carb mad for the VW that ran fairly well. I am not familiar with this particular carb though.
Rick
This one is suppose to be the basic entry carb for North America, while these are premium for Series II & III Landy's in Europe. I read a very detailed thread on one Land Rover Forum UK, and there guys claim it to be a good carb, and one fella says he has it on for almost 3 years. They mention three or four carbs, Weber, Stormberg and Carter, can't recall the fourth one. I see a lot of variety of carbs, but they are the least double barrel and for a bigger engine.

There are to or three local options but im not very keen with either of them, the most suited bolt on one is off a Suzuki Samurai 1.0l, i really don't see how that carb could run a mutts engine technically since its designed for a much smaller engine with a much smaller cfm and with efficency in mind, but then again Sam has it on his mutt and it seems to satisfy him quite well. The others would be either off a Honda Civic 95 1.5l or a Toyota Corolla 96 1.6 or a Honda Accord 84 1.8L, these three aren't the brightest fit but seem to be a better option than the Suzuki.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)